Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eebalcos

can anyone ID this hosta?

eebalcos
9 years ago

Hello,
This is my first post on this forum. I've been growing hostas for 30 years first in Minnesota. I bought this one at a Farmer's Market in Charlotte, NC. It wasn't identified but was so unique with its variable leaf color. The leaves are 4-5 inches long and about 3 inches wide. It is a small hosta.
Thanks.

Comments (10)

• shadeyplace
    9 years ago

Looks like a combination. Great expectations and something else.

• Lee
    9 years ago

Looks like Fortunei Albopicta... If all of the light color turns green in the summer.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

how long ago did you buy it.. years.. or decades???

there is a really old one that does this.. that i had forgot all about.. until steve mentioned it in the last few months .. i am blanking.. thinking albopicta ... but i cant remember the pseudo-latin first name.. fortunei ... see link???

if newer.. ghost spirit???

Here is a link that might be useful: gotta love a search engine

• Lee
    9 years ago

Looking at the library pic... looks almost the same pattern as one of the pic there..
    My ghost spirit never get as tall... And it reverted to just plain greenie lol!!!

• eebalcos
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wow, thanks for the suggestions... so far it seems closest to a H. Ghost Spirit... I've only had it about 4 years

• User
    9 years ago

Well Hello, EEBalcos! Glad to see you found the Hosta Forum. How long have you gardened in NC? A lot of folks are retiring to that area, and they have more time to dedicate to gardens. Are you one of those folks? You will find plenty of company here just like yourself. Of course, many young hosta gardeners as well.

I like your plant. Some of those leaves appear streaked, the greener ones. As far as I recall in my 2 years coming to the forum, yours is the first like it I've seen.

Hope you come back to visit the forum often. At this time, the GWeb feature to have posts/replies to your threads forwarded to your mailbox is not working, some server issues, but when they fix it, you'll get the text of it each time. To see pictures posted, you must visit the forum.

Welcome. Enjoy. This is a friendly bunch of people.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i dont know about your conclusion ...

albopicta does it very early in spring ...

i am not sure.. that ghost spirit doesnt do it later in summer...

i will have to see if mine is still alive ... anyone????

ken

ps: a scale would help ... some of those big green leaves.. that have already changed.. do NOT look 4/5 x 3 inches in any dimension.. anything we all might recognize ...

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

This is Fascination. Looks a little like it don't you think?

Steve

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

It's not Albopicta - the leaves are too round and not enough of the longer pointed end. But your hosta is a pretty one! Hope we find out what it is because I too have not seen one like it before, not to my recollection.

Albopicta looks like this, just so we can eliminate it. :-)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Fascination. Hmmm.

Don B.