Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marinewifenc

Where do you get your plant name tags

Marinewifenc
10 years ago

I see a lot of you with the same type of name tags and I was wondering where you get them. They are the metal ones with the stake, the type that you write on and it indents into the metal and stays I think. I tried ebay but I could only find ones that face sideways not upright. No luck on amazon or other places online.

Can someone tell me a source. Could you tell me how they hold up or how often you've had to replace them as well.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (9)

• Gesila
    10 years ago

One of the forum members said these were good markers. I've been using them for 3 years now. They look as good as the day I bought them. I don't think I'll ever have to replace these.

I just ordered 200 more to finish marking the rest of my hostas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kincaid Plant Markers

• kim2_0
    10 years ago

I ordered mine last year from Paw Paw Everlast based on advice from this forum and was extremely pleased with their Customer service.

I also use the Brother Ptouch labeler with Black print on Clear tape.

Here is a link that might be useful: Everlast Labels

This post was edited by Kim2.0 on Sat, May 25, 13 at 11:28

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Three styles in pic - top style the label bend around the posts and often fall off; middle style the posts insert thru two sets of holes in label; bottom style the posts inserts thru a set of holes in the top and then the nose of post goes thru a slot.

I've used all three and settled on the last one (from Kincaid Gardens as mentioned above). They cost more, about 90 cents a piece including shipping when you order a hundred, but imo worth it. They are stainless steel labels and wires - and very heavy duty.

Paul

• flowerchild59
    10 years ago

PawPaw also has stainless markers. Make sure you get the tape that is resistant to the weather. I have had some markers for over 10 years with the tape still readable. I use an old PT label maker from ebay, got an old one for under 10 bucks and easy to use too. The EZ tape is tougher to weather conditions.

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

The Kincaids are virtually indestructible since they're stainless steel. I will be converting to those next time I order. They're quite a bit more expensive than what most of us have been using.

What you see most of us using are from Paw Paw Everlast or Eon Industries. They're basically the same kind. They're abou 1/3 the price. While they don't usually fall apart, they can get bent.

Oh, and invest in a Brother p-touch labeler and use the TZ types. My opinion is that the clear with black writing looks the best on the metal markers

• Marinewifenc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much. I did notice you all had metal tags and could not find any like them. I will be checking them all out. I figured I should get some names down before I forget what I've planted. Do they do well in full sun as well?

Also from Pauls photo, what plant is this, I like it very much.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

eon industries.. which is quite an impressive name for 3 women in a garage in rural NW Ohio ... lol ...

i use what are called rose markers.. the E series .... with two standard heights ...

i suggest you buy ... ten times what you ever think you will need ... lol ... twice i ordered 500 .. anyway ... shipping will kill you... so buy lots .... and only pay for shipping once ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Marinewifenc, that is a lamium - started as a tri-color (Anne Greenway - pic below) and reverted to a 2 color. Nice groundcover/filler between hosta.

Paul

• esther_b
    10 years ago

I get my labels from http://www.pettags4less.com/. They are engraved aluminum pet tags which I have them engrave as

Hosta
    Little Treasure

or

Heuchera
    Midas Touch

etc.

I get the black shield or black heart shaped labels. They come with tiny keyrings. I then use either stainless steel skewers that I've bent the loop on so the key rings stay put or the green vinyl-coated plant supports that I've bent the ring downward on to keep the keyrings in place. Every day, pet tags 4 less runs a special on one of their shapes. Those are the ones I get, when they are suitable for long hosta names. That's how I ended up with hearts and shields.