Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timberohio

A few of my babies

timberohio
11 years ago

Hi All,
I normally hang out on the daylily forum. But what does a daylily addict do when they have a shady spot where daylilies won't grow. They get addicted to Hostas. I have so enjoyed seeing everyone's pics. Thought I would share a few of mine. Pay no attention to the weeds they are a figment of your imagination. Getting the Mulch next week.

Blue Angel This will be her 3rd year in my garden and I think it is time to divide.

June 2nd year

Leading Lady 3rd year

Wolverine 2nd year

Dancing Queen 2nd year

Golden Tiara 3rd year needs divided.

Blue Cadet 3rd year

Empress Wu 2nd year

So that is just a few of my babies. Hope you enjoy.
Andrea

Comments (12)

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Nice plants, Timber. However, dividing that Blue Angel would be a crime against humanity. Hostas, unlike daylilies, do not *need* to be divided. In fact you will set that plant back to a state of immaturity if you do that. It takes a Hosta, especially a giant like Blue Angel, 5 or 6 years to reach maturity. Even then there is no need to divide. You can take divisions in order to propagate a plant, but unless you run out of room or can't buy another, Don't Do it.

Here's what a mature BA looks like. Each of these large leaves is at least 2 feet long.

Steve

This post was edited by steve_mass on Thu, May 9, 13 at 11:15

• mr_gary
    11 years ago

Great looking hosta! Thanks for sharing. Most of my hosta are 2 years in my yard so I'm really waiting on year 3, 4 and above. This is my June second year coming up in my yard. Gary

• timberohio
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Steve I promise I will not dig up and divide Blue Angel. But you mentioned taking divisions in order to propogate. Do I take eyes from around the edge of the main plant?

With the smaller hostas I have just always dug them up divided them and replanted. (can you tell I'm new at this lol) Thought I would just do that with the larger ones also. But if there is a way to not have to dig those big things up and be able to spread them around my yard. I would appreciate the advice.

Thanks
    Andrea

• Gesila
    11 years ago

Nice looking hostas! Agree with Steve, don't divide. My Blue Angel will be in its 4th season and I could only hope that it will look as nice as yours.

Gesila

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

I completely agree with Steve! If you never want to see what a mature hosta looks like,then go ahead and divide. It does take years for a big blue hosta to mature. As for Golden Tiara,they are basically a weed,and they grow faster than some weeds! The only time I would ever divide a hosta is,if I move one to another place,and a small one falls of the outside of the clump,then I just replant that division.Phil

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

You have some very fine lookin' babies there! Don't divide the little ones either. They also "mature" into beautiful specimens. Is that a green sport in your 'Golden Tiara?" or a weed. Green sports will take over a plant if you allow it.

-Babka

• timberohio
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Babka that is the green of a tulip planted way to close to Golden Tiara. I'll cut off the green once it starts to die back. Well if I don't dig any of them. That does leave me a whole back hillside to buy more. DH will love that. lol

Andrea

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Andrea,

You could treat a Giant Hosta like Blue Angel in the same way as a small one, but it would be very difficult. You'd need a Bobcat to dig up a fully mature BA. You can just dig out a division on the outside of the plant from an older large Hosta for propagation, but I wouldn't. Blue Angel is so inexpensive that I would simply buy more if I wanted to make a bank of them. Your mileage may vary.

Steve

• User
    11 years ago

Oh yeah, always buy more!

I like to have different kinds, even though my objective is to have a line of blue big hosta.

Since I'm one of the forum "potheads" you must consider that my big blues are in a container lined up somewhere in the garden. It is easier for me to make comparisons of differences in hosta if they are near one another. It really helps me learn their names and habits, how they change as the season progresses, yadayada.

Here are my young blues in a shady spot earlier this month.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Okay, I'm going to be the odd-ball and say divide that Blue Angel if you want to. Just don't do it because you feel you have to.

Four years prior to this pic this little angel was 4-5 eyed chunk cut off my monster...

And the monster whence it came is at the top of the hill...

I gave second chunk away at the same time and the parent plant didn't miss a beat. May have even triggered faster growth.

tj

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

I'm with you, tj. I don't know why they have a reputation as slow growers. My largest BA that I have had 2 years is about 4 feet across.

My one Elegans is now 5 very big Elegans and another large one. It doesn't mind having chunks taken off and bounces right back to its original form and keeps getting larger.

Jon

• timberohio
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well I am fortunate enough to live only 25 min from Robert Cory. He owns Cory's Hostas and wildflowers. He has been retired for over 30 years. I believe he is close to 90 but that man is out climbing through his Hosta digging and potting everytime I stop by (which is a lot). He is very friendly and knowledgeable. He has been a big help with my addiction. LOL

He advised me to wait until next spring when they are just popping thru the ground. I do want to keep a display plant but would like to start selling some. So I think I'll just buy more to use as a divider plants and leave my big babies where they are.

I did pick up 5 more from him yesterday. Blue Mammoth, First Frost, Halcyon, Cory's Sweetheart, and Cory's Beauty. Cory's beauty had an almost white sport growing with it. So I seperated it to see what it will do. This is a pic of the area I just finished. Need to fill it with Hosta's and ferns.

Hillside behind my hosta bed. Made pathways to walk. Now to add the plants
    {{gwi:700758}}

{{gwi:700760}}
    Andrea