Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pine needle mulch

Posted by liza070831 z4VT (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 08 at 10:56

My hosta garden is located under two pine trees. Right now the needle drop is about 9" deep. I can see the little noses under the mulch but don't know if I should clear away some of the needles or just leave them. I like to think they act as a barrier for munching rabbits. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pine needle mulch

Don't bother about rabbits they are not a problem.
Those eyes some call spears have a purpose; to push through forest floor debri, they will do fine.

Don't worry be happy.

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Sat, May 10, 08 at 11:22

being in zone 4, frost is a real possibilty. leave the mulch in place, and let them do their thing.

o

thank you both..I guess I will let mother nature take care of them.

o

I'd like to hear more about this interesting theory that rabbits are not a problem.

o

I have a fairly large area planted in the middle of 20 acres surrounded by farms larger than my property with a lot of rabbits. I've observed them biting off a couple of leaves of a new planting that I reasoned they were checking out something new in their habitat without eating the leaves.

We also have more deer than you can count and I've never had any deer problem. There is an argument that mine are rural deer as opposed to suburban deer. Rabbits and deer have plenty of their normal browsing material so they don't bother our hosta. Many in cities or more densely populated areas that have terrible deer problems.

o

Well, rabbits ARE a problem in my yard! They will eat hosta to the ground in the blink of an eye.

o

"Well, rabbits ARE a problem in my yard!"
iowa flower nut

General statements however statistically valid does not matter individually however true or fallacious they may be.

The deer thing came from something I read about from biologist that study deer behavior.

Shoot your rabbits! Ignore what I think is generally accurate.

o

I must say that I agree with ester opal. I throw all my thorny rose stems over my hosta -hopefully that will deter the munching rabbits. I have also scattered Kitty litter around and planted kale nearby.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here