Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

Difference between Niagara Falls and Lakeside Ripples?

What's your opinion on the main differences between these two?

Comments (15)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

one is from olga.. and one is from mary ...

what more do you need to know ????

ken

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Maybe she would like to know if one grows better, gets taller, takes more sun, has more upright leaves, etc.

What we do know from who bred them is (I don't have LSR and My NF is too young to count, so this is hypothetical) Niagara Falls will be huge and LS Ripples will probably do well in 7b. That's about all who bred them tells us.

bk

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I only had Niagara Falls so it is difficult to compare the two. But Niagara Falls gets big really fast, and it holds its leaves like a water fall. The photos of L. Ripples show the structure of the plant to be more horizontal. I had to give away Niagara Falls because it took up so much space.

-Babka

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, guys. I, of course, as Bkay suggested, was looking for differences with their appearances. I am defin looking for more vertical and less horizontal, so that info is very helpful, Babka. I thought that Niagara had more elongated leaves, but that was the only main difference I could tell from the pics that I saw.

Also wasn't sure which one would get bigger, b/c the measurements that I have seen say that NF is 30 x 55 and LSR is 32 x 50 (that also made me think Lakeside Ripples was more vertical that NF). I know measurements are not an exact science and I really don't need to be corrected on that--oh, one who corrects everything--but I have to have some starting point and the given measurements are as good as any to start with. I think Niagara is my preference here, the vertical is the most important aspect, to me, with these two.

• Gesila
    9 years ago

I have both Niagara Falls and LS Ripples. I have tons of pictures of Niagara Falls and not a single one of LS Ripples.

I bought Niagara Falls in March of 2011 and LS Ripples in September of 2011.

So, that tells me that LS Ripples has never caught my attention enough to stop and take a picture.

Gesila

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

Sorry I can't help here. I don't have either hosta.

I just wanted to comment on what Gesila said. If you like to take pictures of your hostas, and you don't seem to have any pictures of a certain one or two, that speaks volumes.

• bchosta 8b west coast canada
    9 years ago

I don't have Niagara Falls and my L. Ripples is still very young (as you can see!). However, the more upright stance of the latter is already evident in this example. The leaves don't cascade downwards as with Niagara Falls. I include a previous posting relating to the same subject matter that may be of some use. Mine was purchased in the fall of last year. It is still two divisions, and whilst the ripples on the leaves are perhaps more evident at the start of this year, it looks as if it's going to take some time to fill in fully.
    BC
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hosta/msg010435442331.html

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

One is a torrent (Niagara Falls) while the other is but a wave (Lakeside Ripples) in the garden.

Both are great, if'n ya gots room ... IMHO

dave

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

I have both LR and NF. Both in their 3rd year, so not mature yet. Right now LR is a better looking hosta. But I have seen pics of NF that are drop dead gorgeous. I think they are both worth having. Here is LR taken today (very windy!) and I'll post pic of NF in the next message.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

And here is NF.

• donrawson
    9 years ago

Both are very large, green hostas...they both are outstanding "must have" cultivars which are recognizable from across the garden.

The leaves on Lakeside Ripples have wavy or ruffled edges, while the leaves on Niagara Falls have evenly spaced, fine ripples (piecrust edge). The leaves on Niagara Falls reach a larger overall size.

Lakeside Ripples is more upright. The leaves on Niagara Falls are convexly cupped and overlap each other as they cascade downward.

Both cultivars have montana in their background.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, that is super helpful, everyone, and just what I was looking for, although everyone doesn't seem to be in agreement on which one is the better one--but hey, that is expected! Thank you very much.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I like Don R's comment that they are BOTH 'must-haves'. I'm halfway there! : )

Don B.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

you guys were lacking a sense of humor in this one

ken

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

I agree, Ken! LOL
    Can't go wrong with Olga or Mary.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!