Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostahosta

Some of my new hosta

hostahosta
9 years ago

I have about 35 new ones this year (so far, I'm pacing myself). Have them all in the ground! Here are a few.

Tequila Sunrise. I just couldn't pass up that brilliant spring color on red petioles with wavy white backed leaves. Thanks to those of you who advised me to get this one!

Comments (14)

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another wavy one, blue this time is Sky Dancer.

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hampshire County is one I hadn't heard of. From W&E Lachman.

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Spartacus has lovely golden rippled edges. This one I bought to replace one I lost in a pot over last winter. All turned out well, because this is a much larger one!

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Goodness Gracious also has rippled edges, but a much wider margin. Not sure if it will maintain that vase shape as it gets larger?

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ultramarine, blue with a different leaf shape.

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lakeside Lollipop, dark green with round leaves.

Enough for now, thanks for looking!

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Those are some awesome ones for being new. Where did you get them?

Gesila

• tepelus
    9 years ago

Very nice! I lost two Spartacus so far and someday I would like to try it again because it's such a beautiful hosta. It will go in the ground instead of a pot next time for sure. Third time's a charm, right? Tequila Sunrise is also a looker. Wish I had more shade. I may have to give growing hostas in full sun a try. I see the common ones in people's yards grow in full sun quite happily, and I have a few that get several hours of full sun and they have only gotten bigger, so I may have to be brave and just do it. Do eeet, Karen!

Karen

• User
    9 years ago

Tepelus, I'll keep an eye on my new Spartacus, which is in a pot too. If it starts looking wonky, I'll find a spot for it in the ground. Thanks for sharing your experience with it.

The pictures are fantastic, HH....who said that was enough? I was just getting in the groove over your plants. I have some of those, and you say those are NEW HOSTA? Indeed, where did you get them? Many northern suppliers have smaller plants to ship early due to the harsh winter. Yours must come from a greenhouse grower.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I have Spartacus, Goodness Gracious, and Sky Dancer, too. Love those rippled ones! Bought Sky Dancer for DH who was an AF pilot in 60s-70s.

You are making such great choices. Isn't addiction fun?!

Cynthia

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gesila and Moccasin: All of these are from a new place I just discovered. Seely's Landscape Nursery in HIlliard, OH. I hit the jackbox there, very large selection, large size. They had a big sale over Mother's Day weekend. (Ultramarine is from Cory's)

tepelus: All I have is shade, living in the woods. Friends try to give me divisions of sun loving plants and I have to turn them down. No full sun here.

cyn: I am truly addicted, and it is so much fun!

• bchosta 8b west coast canada
    9 years ago

Hostahosta,
    I second those who have already commented on the size of the plants that you recently purchased. It's a huge bonus to acquire plants with such a good head start. Coming across these must have made your day!
    Well done!
    BC

• Gesila
    9 years ago

I know right where that is. I'll be stopping there on my visits through Ohio this summer. They buy from Shady Oaks nursery so maybe I'll be able to find one of Olga's hostas there that I don't have yet.

Thanks so much!

Gesila

• User
    9 years ago

Gesila, about your Olga hosta.

Do you have Tobacco Road? I'd like to see a picture, or as many pictures of it as possible. Instead of Tobacco Road the plant I got was a TC failure, I got my money back and have the plant still, but do not know why it is not the real Tobacco Road.

Do you have Mississippi Delta? We'll have to start a thread about the Olgas, okay? Will you do it? Thanks.