Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grapevinegal

Is this Hosta Virus X? (Photo #1 if 2)

grapevinegal
9 years ago

Hi All,

Feeling heartbroken:( I bought these last year and have about 20 that look like these photos (please see second post).
They are growing slowly, their leaves are cupped, shrivled.
Do you think these are infected?
If so, I know to dispose of them but what is the procedure for replanting hostas in the same location.

Thanks Much,
Sharron

Comments (10)

• grapevinegal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another photo.
    I thought it was strange that two leaves came up totally light...
    Thanks for the help:)

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Definitely not looking like HVX...looks like freeze damage or sunburn (probably the former, given your zone :)

That second picture could be an all-white sport that got fried?

• jimr66
    9 years ago

Looks like spring burn,

nothing to worry about.

All white "sport" will not survive if you separate it

May not survive if you leave it alone.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Yeah,leaf burn is common in white areas of leaves. The all white one will go completely away,but you have enough green to save the plant(s). Don't worry. Phil

• grapevinegal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the replies!
    Could it be freeze damage if no freeze occured, after the leaves emerged?
    We did have a freeze but they had barely began to poke their heads out...
    If burn, how do I help them recover?
    Will they stay looking this awful all season?

Thanks Again!

This post was edited by iclimbtrees on Sat, May 31, 14 at 12:24

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

without a doubt.. its frost or freeze damage ...

these warm zone peeps dont really know what it is all about.. lol ...

white tissue is the weakest and usually affected ..

if you wish.. call it cold damage.. you seem to be fixated on some certain temp .. whether a frost or a freeze .. its irrelevant.. its was cold enough to harm the leaf ... thats all you need to know ..

ignore it for a month ... even a damaged leaf will photosynthesize ...

in a month.. remove the worst 2 or 3 leaves... you will be surprised... how few removed will make all the difference..

you wait.. because you will do much more harm.. trying to take care of it now ...

ken

PS: in my collection of 1500 ... in any given event.. i can have .. just as an e.g. ... 10 affected hosta.. spread over 2 acres... why this one and not others.. who knows ... you will hurt your head trying to make rhyme nor reason from it ....

• User
    9 years ago

I'll give you an example of cold damage and I'm in zone 9a. You'd think we'd be immune, wouldn't you.....not even a freeze, just a freak cold spell.

My Summer Music was well on its way to becoming a beauty. Then, the cold hit it. The midleaf is white. It turned translucent, and some now have holes in those spots. But, the leaf is still photosynthecizing (sp?) so I am leaving it alone. I do not want it to come back miniaturized next spring....which is what might happen if you take off all those ragged leaves. I'm trying to help the plant by letting it heal itself.

Last year on 5/27/13

This year it was damaged in April It got mostly the white areas.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

But Mocc... you dont really know... what that is all a... b... o... u... t... Because it only ever freezes in zones 1 through 5b.

don b

• User
    9 years ago

OMG, I forgot! Well, Don, I know it was all a dream this winter, we had just a little sleet and some snow you can't count that because it turned to icicles on the umbrella I put over the bird feeder.

I'm hoping that will be the LAST time I have to go through stuff like that, we may have to move further south....about 30 miles should do it. :)

• grapevinegal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everybody!
    What a relief that it's not HVX.
    Love the umbrella over the birdfeeder!!