Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Spring has come to MN (pic heavy)

paul_in_mn
10 years ago

We're still catching up to many of you, so bear with our excitement at seeing hostas unfurling. My north garden is still barely awakened.

Curly Fries - pretty vigorous, looks like a bloom is already coming

Montana Auremarginata - still a few years from wider margins it appears

Stand By Me - attractive small hosta. This one has been growing strong and will fill out nicely in June.

Blueberry Muffin - a fast growing blue? It has been for me so far - gone from 4 to 13 to 20+ eyes in 3 years.

Heat Wave - attractive rosette look at it unfurls. Struggled a few years back and gave a year of tlc in a pot before replanting.

Yellow Polka Dot Bikini - last year bought as tc liner, it looks ready to hit the garden finally.

El Nino

Tick Tock - another nice small to fill between some of the biggies

Pucker Up - registered by Phylis (grannynanny)

Just June - a sport of June, third year, difference is a wider margin - you decide...

Mildred Seaver - had a nice one that went viral. This one should look good this year and hopefully margins increase in next couple of years.

Thanks for looking.

Paul

Comments (6)

• User
    10 years ago

Paul, so pleased to see your beauties putting on a show.
    I have Heat Wave, and will watch it if it needs TLC. Mine is not as pretty as yours.

Then the Tick Tock. I just love it. Those the size of Blue Cadet and Banyai's Dancing Girl and Drummer Boy give a lot of good looks in a compact hosta. If you don't have Gold Drop, take a look at it. I won't post photos on your thread, but it is one you could use I bet....very strong and multiplies quickly.

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

Paul, I always enjoy the show your hostas put on! How sweet are those Curly Fries!!. . I'm going to have to pick that one up if I get time. I finally got a few weeks to myself and am in the garden from can't see to can't see. . lol
    I do have Mildred Seaver so I understand why you would want to replace her.
    Thank you for taking the time to share your lovelies. . .

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Blueberry Muffin has been a good grower for me, although I have mine getting a lot of sun.

I love Heat Wave, it has great substance.

Thanks for sharing, I always look forward to your pictures.

Gesila

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

moc, I have a Gold Drop in heavy shade and is struggling. I always welcome others pics - post away.

sidney, Curly Fries is continually putting up new leaves. Also has a pretty flower.

Gesila, my Blueberry Muffin is in quite a bit of sun as well.

Thanks all for the comments.

Paul

• Sue Brunette (formerly known as hockeychik)
    10 years ago

Can't wait to see more Paul. I always love your pics. Things are pretty slow here in MN this season. Waiting for most of mine to be more than just a point in the ground.

• LuckyOne11
    10 years ago

On no this is really worrying me now. I am in MN too and I only have 4 of my smallest Hostas up and I don't know which they are as something ran off with my markers a couple of years ago. I think tomorrow or sometime this weekend I will be going out to do some digging to see if the Voles ate the bulbs before they could come up. I am just sick because I have been nurturing my babies for 9 years now. My big blue one was my favorite. It had more then quadrupled in size in the last 5 yrs and had beautiful purplish flowers that shot 5-6 ft in the air. I just wanna cry :(