Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donrawson

Aluminum Plant Markers

donrawson
14 years ago

Some people have asked about plant markers...I make my own. They're 100% aluminum and consist of four pieces- the name plate, the stake, and two aluminum rivets. The name plate is 1/8" x 1" x 3-1/2". The stake is 1/4" x 1/2" x 12" (short stake) or 1/4" x 1/2" x 24" (tall stake). The two flat-head rivets are 1/8" x 1/2", peened over on the back.

These plant markers seem to be indestructible. I've damaged them only by driving over them with my tractor, and finding one in the ashes after burning my compost pile. :(

I use 1" black & white label tape with a P-Touch label maker. I like the black & white label because it shows up better than the clear. Also because I can make a new label and stick it right over the old one whenever I want to change the name on a plant marker.

These markers are now about 8 years old, and I've never seen a label fade, peel off, or otherwise deteriate.

Here are some pics:

Comments (4)

• botanybabe
    14 years ago

Wow, those are great! I bet you could go into the business and sell a zillion of them if you wanted to. In the meantime just send a few dozen my way! LOL

Lainey

• redshirtcat
    12 years ago

These are so cool. Can you offer some more detailed instructions on how to make them? Everything from sourcing the aluminum to working and bending it and riveting tools etc?

Thanks!

• donrawson
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Aluminum-

The aluminum is the common extruded type (T6061). It comes in 12 ft. bars. You will have to find a source for it in your area. I purchased mine from Schupan and they dropped it off at my house. By the way, the stakes are 1/4 x 5/8 (not 1/4 x 1/2 as mentioned above).

Cutting to length-

The 12 ft. bars can be cut into 9 pieces for short plant stakes (16 inches tall), or 6 pieces for tall plant stakes (24 inches tall). I use a band saw to cut the aluminum to length and cut a point on the end that goes into the ground.

The name plate is 1/8 thick x 1 inch high x 3 1/2 inches long. A 12 ft. bar will make 40 name plates. You can cut them to length with a band saw, using a stop, which will allow you to make them all the same length.

Drilling the holes-

The next step is to drill the holes in order to fasten the name plate to the stake. I drill two 1/8 dia. holes through the name plate 3/4 inches apart. Then I contersink the holes using a 60 degree countersink tool like this.The holes need to be countersunk to the right depth so that the rivet head is flush when it's installed. The countersink can be purchased from a local machinery/manufacturing/industrial supplier, or from a source on-line.

The same holes need to be drilled thru the stake. A small drill press is ideal. I have a jig (fixture) which allows me to drill all the holes thru the name plates and stakes with the correct location and spacing.

Assembly-

To attach the name plate to the stake, I use two solid aluminum rivets. The rivets are 1/8 inch dia. x 1/2 inch long and have a flat head with a 78 degree angle. You can purchase the rivets on-line from www.rivetsinstock.com (as shown here) or www.mcmaster.com (as shown here).

There is no special tool required to install the rivets. You simply insert the rivets thru the holes in the name plate and stake and peen them over on the back side.

Final step-

The last step is to bend the top end of the stake on a 45 degree angle so you can read the label when you use them in your garden. I hold the stake in a vise and bend it with a rubber mallet, about 2 1/2 inches down from the top.

That's it. If you want to see a stake, I can send one to you. But you would have to return it. Send me an email if interested. :)

• redshirtcat
    12 years ago

Thanks a lot. I believe I understand how to make them and just have to find the aluminum locally. I appreciate the detailed instructions as I would never have known how to countersink aluminum and etc!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm