Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID - Wide Brim?

Posted by jarih none (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 12 at 11:28

Label says HOSTA. Ok, but... Here in Scandinavia Wide Brim is quite common. Here season just begins and this is small and too yellow, label tells that this will be 30 - 40 cm = 10 - 15 inches. Any suggestions?

Photobucket

Sorry about small pictures.

I have no idea about this one, same size now and later too label says.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID - Wide Brim?

First one could be Wide Brim,as it comes up cream edged,and then gets whiter,depending on sun. Second on looks like Frances Williams,but that is just a guess. Phil

o

Unless your first one just came up, I don't think it's Wide Brim. Wide Brim is dark green. We're ahead of you on the season and most of the edges have turned white, but the little leaves still have yellow edges. (This pot of wide Brim holds all different aged plants, as I pulled several out of a place they were dying and potted them all in one pot.)
Photobucket

I have a hosta that is similar to your first one, but I don't know what it is as it was mislabeled. It's sending up scapes now. I will post it for ID when it flowers.

Photobucket

I don't know about your second one.

bkay

o

bkay, your second one could be Summer Breeze, Summer Lovin, or Nickelodeon.

o
getting an ID

Sometimes, it's hard to ID a hosta. There are many similar cultivars, The things that will help is a photo of the flower, when it flowered, if it changes during the season, photos of how it looks, and when, are very valuable in a good ID.

I suggest you re-post your topic without the reference to Wide Brim. Sometimes, folks don't look if they don't have a Wide Brim. Post one hosta per post. The more photos, the better. Just put NOID or Id in the subject line. We like that game. Remember, lots of photos help.

Good luck,

bkay

o

Thank you all for suggestions and for bkay very good advice. I'll wait colours to change and then take more pictures..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here