Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suneee

New Francis Williams

stoc zone 6 sweden
10 years ago

Went out to buy some ferns but wound up getting this girl.I am expecting my order in a couple of weeks from Holland but gave in and bought something big now.

It's from a store called Hornbachs,I swear it is Home depot as it has a similar layout and everything is orange.

I know that people have mixed feelings about her but I hope she does well.They had another biggie,Blue Angel but I already have one coming.

Some were mislabeled even to my newbie eyes.One that said Blue angel looked to me like the drinking gourd one.Forget the proper name.

They also had some just marked ''Hosta'' which looked like Halcyn to my untrained eye.

The ones I am getting from Holland are guaranteed virus free so I will try to remember to use different tools if I do anything to her.

Comments (17)

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How do I post multiple pics in one message?
    Thanks!
    James

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

James,

You need a photo hosting site like Photobucket or Flickr. You place your photos on there then copy the html code into the message box. It's a great way to show the plants in your garden.

As for FW, it's a beautiful Hosta. The thing that people don't like about it is the tendency towards spring dessication. This is drying out from Spring windy conditions and probably from lack of shade since trees haven't leafed out yet. Try to place FW in a sheltered spot away from the wind and you may have better luck.

Steve

• dg
    10 years ago

What a beautiful hosta you have there! I believe it would grow better for you in a larger pot containing well draining container medium. Also the larger pot will offer less chance of tipping over and be mobile to test it in the brightest area, shielded from the sun and wind.

btw, did you get some ferns too?
    :-)
    Deb

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Deb,
    I'm putting it in the ground once itè's a bit warmer.Yes,I did get the ferns too. I got the FW for about 12 bucks usd.
    Very happy today!

• eahamel
    10 years ago

That is a nice looking hosta! I took a pic of a flat of hostas at Lowe's last month. All look about the same, but had several labels and several were labeled Francis Williams. Several that were identical (to my eyes) had different labels. Here's the pic, the two in the lower right and left corners, with the lavender labels, are supposedly FW.

I got saw a Halcyon at HD that looked exactly like a Seyboldiana Elegans thatI got somewhere else.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Tweet...Tweet...Tweet. Hosta Naming Police here.... Frances Williams. That would be with an "E", not an "I". It is a she. Named after a very special hosta lady. Frances Williams. Look out for kids who like to switch labels...

:-)

-Babka

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Whoops, Babka lit you up! We'll let you off with a warning this time. Just watch your P's and Q's. And your I's and E's.

Don B.

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And maybe my ÃÂ's and ÃÂ's.

Sometimes I get confused spelling Swedish and or English.

So happy I got off with just a warning.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

i have had good luck with my FW and as suggested by Steve, it is in a sheltered spot. This pic is from last June.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Paula _b_ gardener-

What a nice FW you have. No edge dessication. I had one once but the edges always got spotty/icky. So I got Olive Bailey Langdon and that works for me. We don't have freezes here, but just those cold winds in Spring that got my FW. Yours is special, and you should be proud. Hey, you are doing something right...perfect location.

-Babka

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

Mrs Williams.. was.. a woman.. hence Frances ...

MR> Williams.. would be Francis ...

ken

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

First of all that is a nice looking Frances Williams! I've had many FW's in my garden for over ten years,and never had problems with them,but mine are in the shadier part of the garden. And,Babka beat me to it,but I was going to tell you about the spelling of Frances Williams,also! Phil

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys! Or maybe I should say ladies and gentlemen.
    I'm kidding of course.

We have heat today!Glorious sunny day Yipee!!!

• indymom76
    10 years ago

Great-another one to add to the list!! :)

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

I love the hosta 'Frances Williams' for the leaf design, have several. I noticed that when planted into much sun they will come up early and get a little burn on the edges during frost. When planted shady they are just beautiful. I have also 2 OBL and those get burned by sun during summer more than FW. Another advantage of FW and OBL is that slugs have not much effect on them.
    Bernd

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

One of my Frances Williams,and Sieboldiana Elegans,also one of many. Phil

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Thank you Babka, it is so nice to be back. Now that it is hosta season again, I love reading what people have to write and are as 'into it' as I am, there isn't anyone else that I know (that isn't on the computer) that 'gets' my excitement. lol
    The Bridal Wreath Spirea is on its east side and the shed on its south side, so it gets the late afternoon sun but not all of it because there is a large maple tree about 30 feet to its west. Just lucky to have the soil and lighting that it seems to like, but it is definitely one of my favourites in my garden.