Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafwatcher

Horror neighbors

leafwatcher
9 years ago

Unfortunately I am on the 4th set of people that can't stand to even mow their lawn in this house.
This last group is actually an improvement on the last,BELIEVE IT OR NOT !
Unfortunately the first thing they did was take down the required 6 foot fence around their in ground pool. So now I have to see more of their yard.. They also bought a pitbull of course and only have chunks of fence and old wood pallets leaning against the hedge to keep the dog in.
At least they haven't let the weeds go to 5 foot tall thistles like the last guy.. After a few years of that I got in the habit of using Roundup once a year behind his garage...

Oh yeah the ducks haven't been so thick in the pea green and brown much that grows in the "Pool" since they got the dog...

This post was edited by leafwatcher on Fri, May 23, 14 at 12:22

Comments (13)

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Makes me glad I only have one neighbor! I only have the horror woods in back of me. It made our gardens look like carp. At least I've been able to go into them and plant hostas.

Look at all the dandelions that have gone to seed? Are the downwind from you?

Gesila

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

they will probably end up in my yard...

• CanadianLori
    9 years ago

I also live next door to Jethro and Ellie May. They finally took down their above ground swimming/cesspool. They have thistles and a diverse variety of weeds. When they have company coming they mow their weeds to make a good impression. They have a shepherd/rotweiler (spelling?) mix dog who refuses to pick up his own pooh, so they don't either. They also have lots of old bricks and bits and pieces of boards laying around and to crown it all, a rusty 10' non operational satellite dish.
    We patiently grew trees to camoflage the mess, for at least the spring/summer/fall season.
    My heart goes out to you. Been there, still living with it.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

We have a 6' wood fence between our neighbours and us, however; we can still hear them loud and clear. They have teenagers and a pool and they have plenty of raucous friends who love to visit until all hours. Also, just to make sure that I know they are there when I am working in my garden on a lovely spring day, the fresh air is filled with cigarette smoke. Their dogs like to be loud and clear, too when they aren't home so I am always aware of their presence in one form or another.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Oh man, my husband would say that we are eyesore neighbors, with my black nursery pots all over the place. But what I loathe with a passion is that everyone on this street has a lawn crew and feel like it is constant noise. There is one out there right now as I type this, in the rain. As soon as one is done, the next neighbor's crew shows up. I'd trade some less than immaculate yards for some peace and quiet . The guy that lives behind us loves, loves, loves his chainsaw and mulcher thing. GAAAAAHHHHHH I wish I lived in a more secluded spot.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Thankfully,I live in the woods,and this time of year,I can't even SEE the neighbors house. I have lived here for 14 years,and they are either in their house,or gone,and their AC runs 24/7 all year long. They have never planted a single plant,tree,or anything like that, all the time we have lived here. Maybe that's a good thing. Phil

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Have you thought about planting a tall-ish hedge? If you had more shade, you could plant more hostas.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

We had very nice neighbors, but their big German shepherd dog was not well trained. So I got my backyard fenced in and all my tools sharpened just in case. But still he greated me once in front of my house by putting his teeth around my bare forearm, and ripped a neighbor's boy's shirt off his back. Then they added their own backyard fence and brought the dog to training. So watch out for untrained dogs!

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Looks kind of like my renters we had when we were gone for three years. They had my yard looking just like that and the inside of the house was worse, Our poor neighbours when we were gone! It was like starting over to repair all the damage they did in the last year. We were 800 miles away so only made it back once a year. Knew they were not clean but never knew they were as bad as they were. Fields had auto parts all over and dog patch fences we burned. I feel for you and hopefully will lose it to the bank and they will be forced to move. Are there not any bylaws to report to loud noises, etc? Takes all kinds I guess but upsets we to think of the trash

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

OMG, that pic is of my house!!!!!!

LOL, just kidding, but I am pretty sure we are THOSE neighbors, to some degree. We have dogs and I say they don't bark and they don't much, but I'm always paranoid whenever they do, like when a siren comes through and they howl until it's gone. And the grass is the very least of our considerations these days, what with all of the backyard remodeling that is happening right now. It gets mowed when it gets mowed and that's that. Fortunately, my neighbor has pretty much had that philosophy about his grass for the last 15 years, so I don't think he really cares. The bright side is the front yard looks fantabulous! Just don't walk around the back right now, K? :)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

You don't say where you live, but you can always call code enforcement. They can get pretty ugly when swimming pools laws are ignored. Most cities also have high weed ordinances. You can also pray the dog doesn't get out.

The other thing you can do is plant vines on your fence. You can rig all kinds of things to raise the level of the fence in the areas in you most often looked at areas. That's been my best solution so far.

bk

• User
    9 years ago

Hmmm, I tried to call about this swimming pool 2 doors over, which I saw the lady dumping leftover food into it. I assume she is feeding fish or alligators? They said if it was not visible from the street, they could not come onto private property. Well, I guess code enforcement is another route to follow. There is definitely NO fence around that pool. And, we are being eaten alive by mosquitos this year. The house was purchased last summer by these people. No grass cut by them either. They live on the deadend street next street over, right at the end.

Of course you could always get some kudzu seed and slingshot them into that yard. It won't take it long to cover the house and the whole yard. I think it is against the law to plant kudzu in Atlanta, don't remember where I heard that.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Kudzu should be illegal everywhere, except Japan, of course.

bk

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations