Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
El Nino

Posted by paul_in_mn 4b (My Page) on
Thu, May 24, 12 at 12:00

Was out in late light yesterday and El Nino colors were looking good. Thought lighting might be too dark to get a good pic, but colors came thru very nice. This is 2nd year and margins are still fairly narrow.

This one is a little more mature - margins and streaks to center starting to really show off(July 2011).

Please add your El Nino pics and similar sports.

Thanks for looking.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: HL: El Nino

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: El Nino

Photobucket

Here is this springs photo of my El Nino I received as a gift late last season for Hallson. I love it and am anxious to see it "grow up". I am going to keep my eyes open for more blue centered variegated hostas because of El Nino.

Les

o

• Posted by babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Thu, May 24, 12 at 12:39

Here's mine. Purchased El Nino in 2003 and Blue Ivory in 2009. I also just this year got Great Escape, which, from everything I've read is just like Blue Ivory. I'll watch how well they grow for me.

-Babka

Photobucket

o

Definitely in my top ten every year:
Photobucket

Steve

o

Babka-very nice. your photo just made me aware that something can be done with blue centered and white hostas that is striking. Most garden designers warn against having too many green and white hostas together in a garden because it makes it look too busy and not relaxing.

I can visualize a drift of blue and whites being gorgeous since blue is a much more placid color than green.

Les

o

Les, here's a mass of Aristocrat

Paul

o

Just as I expected. Very nicely placed and striking,in my opinion.

Les

o

Babka - Your Blue Ivory looks sort of cream instead of the intense white of El Nino. I had thought that the width of the margin was the only difference.

Beautiful plants, everyone.

o

I actually find the real blue and white ones a little jarring, visually. I like them, but I don't know, there is something a little harsh about them to my eye.

My El Nino is finally looking pretty good this year- took it a while

Photobucket

o

Beautiful hosta, it reminds me of First Frost, one of my favorites.

o

My El Nino has been in my garden for a year now, it has had great color last year when planted and came back in great form this year.

~ Gary

o

• Posted by babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Thu, May 24, 12 at 21:48

Hmmm. Sure does look cream rather than white, but then I just recently moved it from a shadier place, and where it is now, it gets morning sun and less (by about 1 hour) than El Nino. Thanks for noticing that...I'll watch them to see what happens later in the season.

-Babka

o

I just finished raining here so my El Nino is wet....and greener than everyone elses. It gets dappled shade.
El Nino

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here