Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostahosta

My new garden

hostahosta
9 years ago

Care to look at my new garden?

This area is the hill behind the house. I call it the 'Back Hill". Very steep covered with weeds, some grass, lots of wild vinca. Beyond is the woods. Sitting in our living room and 3 season room, or hot tub, we looked out on this mess. After many years of procrastination, (and being lightly chided and shamed by a gardener friend) I finally tackled the mess last year. This first pic is after a violent weed wacking and spray with weed killer (yes, I resorted to chemicals)

Comments (32)

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So I started planting, pulling out tons of wild vinca as I went. So much hard work. I started at the bottom of the hill closest to the house.

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

From another angle. I want large hosta towards the back and figured the sooner I get them planted, the sooner they will reach their mature size. You probably can't see them well, but I have Key West, Bressingham Blue, Humpbacked Whale, Gone with the Wind, Smokey Bear, Brutus and probably need more. I am also trying hydrangea for the first time.

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And so this is where I ended last October. I found lots of tree roots, but the soil was good, dark, and friable. Lots of rocks as is typical of our area.

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Spring ahead to 2014, this pic is today. Work is still in process. I am continuing to plant many new hosta. Some new ones include: Goodness Gracious, Key Lime Pie, All That Jazz, Wishing Well, Parhelion, Tequila Sunrise, Mama Mia, L'il Abner.

Also working on placing stones to serve as steps up the hill. Not so much for visitors (not the most stable), but for me to get around to tend the garden. I still have plans for more very large hosta, probably more hydrangea, and other companions to fill in.

To the right, out of the frame, is a very large wild thorny rose (they grow all over our area) which I hope to be able to eradicate and plant a nice evergreen conifer of some type. That may take more muscle than I have.

Lots more work in store for me, but I love every minute I spend in my garden.

Thanks for looking and for reading my story!

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Beautiful,but where in Ohio is it that hilly/ All I ever saw when I went through there was flat,flat land with farms as far as the eye can see? Your new garden resembles mine,and I am on the side of a small mountain! Phil

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Nice work, hostahosta! All the hard work has really paid off, and now you can enjoy your view so much more!

• User
    9 years ago

Oh, I do so love such big projects, when someone else is doing them! You have a big project there, and it is far enough along to know you will get it done. Looking GOOD.

I note also that the other side of your drive(?), you have hosta planted as well. Good idea. The approach to your house will have welcoming arms to embrace guests, or yourself as you return from a trip to buy all that mulch and MORE HOSTA.

Please be sure to keep pictures of the process. I use my photos to see things later that I missed at the time of doing the work. All my work is on flat ground, and I must build in some height as I go. Nothing so impressive as you have, just a pile of mulch, a pedestal, something to catch the eye from the uniform flatness. Your hosta have naturally formed bleachers, so you can stand at the bottom and see every one.

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your comments. Another pic after a few hours of work this afternoon. More hosta, some ferns, and more stone steps.

Phil: We do have hills in Ohio, not mountains! Seeing your pics I have often thought our gardens are very similar! The glaciers made it just north of here, pushing all the rocks and dirt, etc ahead creating this area called the Hocking Hills. Quite the Ohio tourist destination for hiking, birdwatching, canoing the Hocking River, and romantic get aways.

Moccasin: That is a paver walkway that goes around the side of the house. Hosta on the left of it are in a small bed up against the house.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Looks very nice! I like hostas on a slope...it's like movie theater seating, in a way- you have a view of all of them.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Sheesh, hostahosta, now I have no excuse not to tackle our weed, bramble, vinca infested hill.

You (and yes, Phil, too) are an inspiration. That hill will look so marvelous before you know it. Love the bird bath, too! Guess I need to start looking for stones to use as steps also. It will be so much fun watching your garden develop.

Cynthia

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Looks great, Hostahosta. That's a really nice-looking area for hostas. Wow, just wait til those babies fill out! I love your new choices.

Ever been to THIS here town, Hostahosta? I know Phil hasn't. ; ) Seems to me they're doin' a little bragging. Hillhogs!

Don B.

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

Nice job, hostahosta!
    The hill will be awesome when they mature. Looks like you have room for even more!

• serenitycove
    9 years ago

Ohio has lots of hills. At least my county does. I have a similar hill I'm planting hostas on but mostly the older varieties and noids.
    Hostahosta, I've been to Hocking Hills. Love the Rock House!

• User
    9 years ago

Ah, now I see it is not wide enough for a vehicle except a golf cart! Plus, if that is right outside your house, I can see the real benefit of making the view a super good one. You are already reaping the benefits of the garden....I bet you cannot wait to get back to the next session.....it works like that for me.

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

Looking really good - you made lots of progress! :)

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

It looks wonderful, you can see how much work you did, it has really paid off.

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Six more hosta to plant from the splurge last week. It takes so long because I agonize over where to put each one.

Don: Never been to Seven Hills. We are in southeast Ohio, about an hours out of Columbus.

Serenity: Your hill looks great! And similar to mine, even to the stones. Where in Ohio are you?

• tepelus
    9 years ago

Where I lived in Ohio (Sandusky County) was nothing but flat farmland as far as the eye can see. You have to go east and south to find the hills.

Karen

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

Promise us now that you will post pictures of your garden for, at least, the next three springs. Its gonna be great!

Next, some garden art.

• serenitycove
    9 years ago

Hostahosta.....I'm from Holmes County down in Amish country.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

But Harry, I thought hostas WERE garden art! ; )

Don B.

• DelawareDonna Zone 7A
    8 years ago

Just beautiful! You have created a little bit of paradise for yourself on this good earth!

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    8 years ago

Wow, what a difference a year makes! Imagine what it will look like in another year or two. I hope you keep us updated. You have created something really special that you will enjoy so much!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hosta hosta, that is truly remarkable - the before and after! I am in awe!

Loved the journey through time.... I love how you've made the steps and created a pathway to be able to reach all your hostas with a good stretch. It truly is beautiful. The colour combinations, the spacing, the composition, it is all so very, very lovely.

So what do your neighbours say now! ;-). Or are they just speechless? You should be very proud of your work!

When you "are in the sunroom, gazing out at this", how long are you seated until the Hosta call you out again? :-)

P.S. The fact that Phil posted here makes this thread update so extra-special.

• hostatakeover swMO
    8 years ago

Oh, FANTASTIC garden, HH! Great choices in colors and textures, love the rocks all about and the nice touch of concrete here and there. Amazing the difference between what was and what now is! Just beautiful....all your hard work has sure paid off.

Thanks so much for the update.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    8 years ago

Wonderful update! What a nice variety you have. How much nicer to gaze out at this than what you started with! Isn't it fun having a big space to plant so many hostas? It's looking so good.

I'm also gardening on a slope, so I like to see how others are doing it. I always like how bird baths look in a garden. I see you got your stone walkway made.

• suncoastflowers
    8 years ago

Just beautiful! All your hard work paid off!

• suncoastflowers
    8 years ago

I am looking forward to your updates.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    8 years ago

Your garden is absolutely lovely! Congratulations on a job well done.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    8 years ago

Phil is looking down smiling.

• User
    8 years ago

Love your garden progress. I note your blue bottle tree, keeps the spirit world content. And I have a similar Yankee Flipper bird feeder--although I took out the batteries because I felt sorry for the squirrels!

Your hosta are growing quickly, and with a space like your hillside, you can afford lots of big big hosta. Is Empress Wu among them? She is a fast grower, and so is Sum And Substance.Thanks for the update. Look forward to the next set of pictures.