Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafwatcher

Olive Bailey Langdon finally making some adult leaves !

leafwatcher
9 years ago

I am so glad to see a few plants finally maturing and getting some personality !

Comments (13)

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

That looks great, I am jealous. How long did it take to get to this stage and how many eyes did you start with?

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Looks like mine,which has been in the garden since 2006. Great looking plant! Phil

• kentstar
    9 years ago

Olive is a true beauty! And very vigorous!

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

My OBL is as reliable as the sun. I planted it back in 2007 at the base of a mature oak tree (sorry! no picture) close to where my driveway meets the road and look forward to enjoying it every year. What's not to like?

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Awesome, LW. Those leaves are huge!

Don B.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

On the list it goes!

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

On my list too. I need to replace a couple Francis Williams that have already started leaf desiccation and aren't even fully unfurled yet.

• santamiller
    9 years ago

Beautiful!

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

My two OBLs are not impressive yet in comparison to my large FWs, so I am waiting. I saw once at a garden tour a very large (3 ft tall or so) FW with very large leaves, must have been on steroids. Bernd

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

I understand your excitement about finally having mature plants. I've been hostaing for about 4-5 years now, (seriously for about 3 years) and am finally seeing some of my babies maturing. How different they look. My OBD doesn't have quite that look yet. Here's a pic of mine. Your's is beautiful.

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Paula I am sorry I replied to this thread I thought? I must have hit preview and forgot to hit post afterwards...I do that on occasion.

The OBL shown is 5-6 years old, but its in the third location.. I kept choosing bad spots and moving it.

I believe this plant only had two eyes when purchased..it was fairly small.

I have to admit those leaves seem huge in the pictures.. ;) I know there are larger examples out there, but its nice to have some getting to the big leagues ;)

• Gesila
    9 years ago

I love the bumps! You have especially large leaves on yours!

Phil has an awesome one, I left the house and bought one after I saw a picture he posted of his.

It's exciting to see everyone's hostas mature, and, to also have a new group of people that have young ones that we can show our maturing ones off to! I have serious hosta ego right now!

I remember when I couldn't wait until I had two hosta's leaves touch each other.

Gesila

• User
    9 years ago

Gesila, how many years ahead of me are you with your garden, just a couple? I cannot believe it, you know so much more than I do. What you say about showing mature plants to those with young ones, I'm almost there.

These days I have to move the pots further apart than before.
    I started in 2012, so some of mine are acting mature to me at least....my viewing mature hosta is mostly in pictures, and at Bob Seawright's display garden in Carlisle MA.

I can appreciate your "serious hosta ego"...like the term a lot.

Maybe you should buy the sleep tee says:
    THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MANY HOSTA.
    (I have one)