Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

Hosta 'Cold Heart'

Jadie, I remembered you have a young 'Cold Heart'. I'm interested in getting one. How is it growing for you? Would you have any pics handy by any chance?

To anyone else that has one, could you please post some pics, in any stage of growth, and provide some comments? I'd appreciate the feedback. ;-)
Thank you.

Jo

Comments (16)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Jadie! Good luck with your thesis deadline...and I can't wait to see what your 100 hosta money will buy :-).

Doubling in size first year Is a good indication of vigor, so happy to hear that. I just reserved a bunch of hostas for pickup in mid-May and am already building my second order., lol. CH is #1 on the 2nd run. The overall beauty of it hooked me but especially the very subtle tones.

Anyone else crazy about this beauty?

• jimr66
    9 years ago

I bought 1 last year, so far just bullets (or pips) It was very beautiful esp. early.
    The color was like a lime popsicle. very unique.

The downside was the slug damage which it was more prone to than most (Like Cherry Berry, or Wide Brim)

There are about 5 bullets this spring from 2 divisions when purchased last year, so looks to relatively vigorous.

Hope this helps.

James

• jadie88
    9 years ago

James, I feared that 'Cold Heart' would be slug bait. That lovely "delicate" look comes with thin, "delicate" leaves. It will be interesting to compare how my potted vs in ground divisions do.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, DO tell! It may be one I have to keep on the deck, and in a pot. No slug is going to touch a leaf on that one!!!

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

I have to agree on the whole "slug bait" thing. Here in WA, we have serious slugs and snails that can mow down an entire hosta in a night. (Some are so big, you could buy them a collar and leash and take them for a walk around the neighborhood! Lol) If I don't get bait out soon enough, 'Cold Heart' is one of the first ones they go for. I've been contemplating putting it in a pot due to this issue. It's a lovely hosta, but I never get a good picture of it because the leaves always have slug chew holes in them.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Flowerfrenzy, it sure sounds like "in a pot" is the way to grow Cold Heart and not in the ground. We have lots of those slimey nasties here too. I'm hoping the very cold winter may have diminished some of their numbers!

• User
    9 years ago

I have Cold Heart also. The shading on it is very subtle, with the "cold heart" being a blue tinge (like icy cold water) in the heart of the leaf. An Alttara Scheer hosta, BTW.

Mine was delivered from Naylor in late March 2013.
    Here it is in late April 2013.

and then in August 2013, after a wet summer and a hot one.

and I know I have a picture taken this year. Looks much better, and is beginning to have the ruffled edge. That is a hardy orchid sharing the pot I think.

{{!gwi}}

Original Author
    9 years ago

Mocc your pic was not accessible, but I'm not sure whether that's exclusive to me only? (I'm on my iPad) Can you please repost that pic? I'm really interested in progression in pics pertaining to colour and growth throughout the season. Thank you!

• User
    9 years ago

Hmmm, now where did it go....
    But I uploaded it later to Flickr, and even took another picture this morning. Let's see what happens now.

Cold Heart in April 2014 with the hardy bletilla orchid.

This morning, using the ASUS tablet camera. I moved the orchid out of the pot.

• mctavish6
    9 years ago

I love this plant. It's grown very well for me. I haven't found it to be a slug magnet. It's in midday sun. Maybe I just actually and got it in the right place the first try. It's much larger than I expected. It is next to it is Blue Haired Lady if that gives you a reference. The first picture below was early June 2013. The second picture is late July 2012. Mocc is right, it has that blue hint in the middle.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

Here's a picture of my plant. This one isn't too bad, but you can still see a few chew holes.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Mocc, Flowerfrenzy and Myrle....Oohs and a aaaahhhhs all around! What a beauty! Mocc, I appreciate the indulgence, thank you - I very much wanted to see how it grew in your climate as well.

It has made it to the second list - my first list was emailed last week...hopefully to be picked up May 18th.

Cold Heart leads the second purchase list...I can't wait to choose it myself. It was sold out last year. A few were sold out last year. I've added a few more fragrants! Will post later on a new thread.

Thank you so much for weighing in. This hosta (and your pictures of it) is very beautiful.

Jo

This post was edited by josephines67 on Sat, May 3, 14 at 19:01

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

It's nice-looking, in my opinion, even if the substance may be a bit thin. I've only seen this one in pics; The pics Faye posted, the plant reminds me of Niagara Falls in it's form and leaf type. Great color on this one.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Sorry, not Niagara Falls. Hoosier Dome is what I meant.

Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

Hmmm, Jo, this year combining hosta just seems to be so logical. I cannot help but think like this these days.

So what I see is a trio with Manhattan and ....what would be good with this? Heavy ruffles? I'm all for Sea Gulf Stream, Candy Dish. Cold Heart?

Trio of ruffled colors, combining in much the same way that June/Teatime/English Sunrise do....a match of size and compatibility of color.

I'll move some of my pots around tomorrow and make the combinations from what I have. Then I'll take pictures. I'll be repotting the blue hosta tomorrow.