Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiddisolo_gw

Jewel of the Nile

Denis asked about the colours showing on Jewel of the Nile.
This is my largest of the 3 I bought 2 years ago.

A second one lost all its green centre and I assumed reverted to Dee's Golden Jewel

The third is much smaller but is showing good colour

Has anyone else had a whole plant revert ?

Dave

This post was edited by tiddisolo on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 2:19

Comments (12)

• User
    9 years ago

I bought Dee's Golden Jewel.
    I did not remember that about Jewel of the Nile, so I guess I am ahead of the game. I don't have to wait for anything to revert, it is already what it want's to be. I don't suppose the reversion stuff works the other way around does it...... :)

Here is my Dee's Golden Jewel.

New from Sebright this year..

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i cut dee off of jewel.. every year for 10 years ..

and then just let the whole thing revert to dee ...

i now have many ..many dee ... and no jewel ...

ken

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    9 years ago

Thanks Dave, good looking plants. Mine is quite small and I will just have to wait to see which one it is, but no variegation as yet.

Does Dee's GJ start as green and go gold as the season progresses? I know there is a word for this but I can't remember right now.

Mocc, I think you are better off starting with Dee than being driven over the edge by a reverting Jewel like ken lol . JOTN is a sport of DGJ so no reason that DGJ could not sport but would not be JOTN but something new, If I am wrong please correct me.

Ken I will learn from your experience with it, and not fight it if it turns out to be JOTN. 10 years lol you are very committed or should be committed lol

Denis

This post was edited by mountainy_man on Sat, May 31, 14 at 20:50

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    9 years ago

Hi Denis - My JOTN starts out chartreuse and it takes a week or so to start seeing the variegation. Hang in there - there's still a good chance that you still have JOTN rather than Dee.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Denis, I'd highly recommend 'Satisfaction'. It has beautiful appearance without all the reversion 'Mucky Muck,' as Nigel Tufnel of Spinal Tap once said. ; )

The reason I say that is because of Dave's first pic of his beauty, reminds me of a Satisfaction...I thought 'you can get a Satisfaction, and NEVER have to worry about those running colors.

Just my 0.02. Photo is not mine, plant shown is not mine.

Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

Okay, then I show you a potted Satisfaction. Since you mentioned it.

Taken today. In my garden. Actually, at twilight, and I believe I did not use the flash.

9 years ago

Thanks Conniemay, Patience is a virtue so I've been told (repeatedly) lol

Don, I must watch Spinal tap again its been a long time. Satisfaction has been on a few of my lists and I've not got it yet, it has a lot going for it. I must squirrel away a few quid and do an order. your 2 cents appreciated, thanks.

Mocc, lovely plant, has it a bit of a shine to it or is it just the light or wet? thanks

lol the enablers are circling!

Denis

• User
    9 years ago

Denis, yeah, we are circling....
    Actually, it's been wet for so long I have to check pictures from last year to see if it is always shiny.

Here is the picture from June 2013, showing two hosta. The "NOID Satisfaction" was through blooming, no seed pods. The one purchased as Satisfaction was in bloom. And much bigger than the other, which was purchased in 2010May.

There seems to be a slight sheen, but not a shine, don't you agree? Not definitive, but close enough for government work.

PS. I'm still puzzled by the ID of the 2nd plant.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Hi Denis! I'm interested in seeing an update on your pics. Your hostas must be all unfurled, or pretty near by now? A couple of weeks make a tremendous difference in growth. How's the work on your sister's garden coming along? :-)

My JOTN was new last summer. Last week it was still green, but this week I can already see the "Jewel" tones showing promise. Can't wait to see it next week!

• tepelus
    9 years ago

My JOTN as of yesterday, still unfurling and slowly starting to show its edge.

Karen

9 years ago

Well this is my JOTN (in the green square pot in the centre) I can see from your pics above that it is quite subtle as it gets its colour.

Jo your wish is my command I will post some pics in a bit.

Denis

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Oh goody, Denis! Thank you :-)