Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madplanter1

Back with a vanload of hostas

I've been so bad about posting, pictures, and even reading. This time of year I feel like Alice Though the Lookingglass - I have to run as fast as I can just to stay in the same place. Every morning there are hundreds of new weeds. Ash, Oak, Walnut, Elm, Honeysuckle, coneflower, spiderwort, Redbud, Cedar, dandelion and more all trying to take root in the garden. They should slow down in a couple weeks and I can have some fun time.

We had a family graduation party in Iowa last weekend. As long as we were so close to our home town, we went there for Memorial Day, too. Of course I hit a couple hosta places, and I got some from a friend, too. Here are all 19. Back row left to right: Lionheart, Dorset Blue, Skylight, Lakeside Old Smokey, Frank Lloyd Wright, Sum of All, Sharp Dressed Man, Golden Sculpture, Warwick Comet, Clear Fork River Valley, On Stage, and Simply Sharon. Front row: Yesterday's Memories, Lederhosen, Gay Blade, Atlantis, Old Faithful, Lakeside Dragonfly, some European wild ginger, and Glory.

I'd been hunting for some of them a long time. Probably could have ordered them, but I hate to put them though being mailed. I know it doesn't hurt them (much), but would rather buy a potted plant or fresh division.

Simply Sharon is a tiny thing right now, but will grow into a giant. And the lady who shared her hostas really went overboard with Yesterday's Memories and Gay Blade. They are already a mature size. I'm sure my family thought I was crazy, had to keep going outside and admiring them all.

Now for the fun of deciding where they will go.

Comments (18)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

if you had taken tape ... you could have got a lot more in a van ... crikey.. wasted gas ... lol ...

congrats ...

ken

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

Wow! Score, you have some great plants and good sizes, too.

• User
    9 years ago

Okay, I see I have another item to carry in my car, besides the little tool box, the insulated grocery tote bags, and the blanket to cover the cargo area....TAPE. Of course, it is good to have in the car even on a routine trip to Lowes. LOW TACK masking tape, of course.

Your Yesterday's Memories is a giant already. Mine has been here 3 growing seasons, and it is just now looking like that. She was quite generous to you.

Remember to bring tape

• Gesila
    9 years ago

You really got a nice selection of hostas there! And some of them are huge. Sharp Dressed Man has been on my list for years now.

I carry tape in my glove box. Never know when I'm going to find a hosta sale.

Gesila

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

sure!!!

if you tape all the petioles together... then you can stack the pots on top of each other ... lol

could have gotten 10 or 50 more in there ... lol

ken

• esther_b
    9 years ago

Wow, an instant garden! They are beauties. Enjoy them.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

You got some nice ones. Frank Lloyd Wright and Warwick Comet have been on my list.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Actually, I still had hosta room and am cursing myself for forgetting to get Double D Cup and Ghostmaster when we were at Flying Frog. It's OK, that will give me something to hunt for at the convention.

Yes, not only was she very generous with her hostas, she dug them up when they were just pips and babied them until I got them. They're in superb condition. Can't thank her enough, she's a hosta angel.

The only one that needed tape was the LS dragonfly from F. Frog, and it's standing up on its own already. But it's still a good idea. That mostly gone roll of painter's tape is going in the glove compartment.

Still can't believe I finally found Simply Sharon. Still doing the happy dance!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Keep dancing there, Madplanter for you have reason to celebrate. As Esther said, an instant garden! Nice sized hostas, no wonder you are happy!

• timhensley
    9 years ago

Great plat selection! Enjoy.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Stack the pots?? Now you're just gettin a little crazy there, Mr. Ken.

Although they'd get beaten up, yes they'd survive. I see your point. But you're still crazy. : P

Don B.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

FF is about 30 minutes from me. The couple that run it are wonderful. Sometimes they'll trade hostas for pots., or give you a discount. I love their clump sales. Picked up a Sunny Disposition several years ago. But I don't think it likes it on the east side of my house, which is strange.

Nice score. Hope you had fun. Y'all come back now, ya hear?

dkB *dave b*

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

Holy Cow!! Hope you didn't have to leave anyone behind in Iowa!! Wonderful selection!

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

WOWSER! That is a van load...and I wish I had a double d cup, too!! Didn't know I could buy it!

They look beautiful, congrats!
    Mary

• User
    9 years ago

Leave anyone behind? More likely strap them to the roof of the car. Especially back seat drivers. I'd prefer more hosta any day.
    I am quite impressed.

Can see a small trailer behind a van with green leaves poking out the windows. I'll know it is another hosta fancier.

There are a lot of great nurseries across the midwest, and probably mid Atlantic states and New England. I'd like to get the coordinates or addresses for the nurseries and build a navigation data set. I'm a member of POI Factory online, and that could be my project to contribute to drivers with GPS in the car. I know most of the larger online sellers, but not the ones like Flying Frog or Mr. Cory. Specialty nurseries with hosta, and buyer experience stating they provide healthy hosta, that would be key. Not simply one or two ordinary varieties, but an understanding of hosta growing. I'll think about that for the winter.

No time to dally during growing season. If it was not raining, I'd be out there now. I have on my working shoes. Good grief, it is a jungle out there.

Here is a link that might be useful: It's A Jungle Out There....Monk theme

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Oh, yeah, Mary, you can buy a Double D cup.

bk

• User
    9 years ago

Oh, I'm in Iowa! What part of Iowa did you stop to buy?? I'd love to find a yesterdays memories. If it was eastern Iowa, I'll be hopping in my car this weekend. :)

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

In case this happen again, put the other riders on a bus home, so you can put more hostas in the van.