Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavendargrrl

ID help needed - I have measurements

lavendargrrl
9 years ago

Leaves are 7 inches long x 3.5 inches wide and the plant is about 14 inches tall.

Comments (19)

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a side view.

{{!gwi}}

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Did you have Invincible? It kind of looks like it to me.

bk

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, bk, I definitely have Invincible. I have one I am certain is Invincible across the garden. I will compare them, but I don't believe this one is the same.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

How about Irish Luck?

bk

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nope, never had that one. Had to look it up, and it's pretty! What I recall planting in that area actually was Korean Snow. I realize that is a streaked hosta, but is it unstable? Does it sometimes lose the streaking? I was under the impression that stability was one of KS's benefits. Hmmmm....the leaf shape does look a bit like KS if it were plain green to me. What do you think?

This post was edited by lavendargrrl on Wed, May 14, 14 at 0:20

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Does the name 'Curls' ring a bell? Just tossin' it into the ring, just a guess...

Don B.

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just was reading about Frostbite, which is a KS sport that is green with s thin yellowish margin that changes to white in summer. Looking for my other pics of this one from today.

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don, not Curls either :( Here are the other pics.

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One last pic.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Sorry, I'm out of possible matches. I ran out after Irish Luck. Does it have a white back?

I don't have Korean Snow, so know nothing about it.

Good Luck with your id quest.

bk

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think the back is white. I'll check that more closely and see. Thanks for your guesses. I really appreciate it!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

It's Sum and Substance!!!!

...Wait...no, that's not close at all...

Don B.

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha, Don!

• Lykaon - Ohio Zone 6a
    9 years ago

Could it just be a green volunteer seedling?

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

I'm going to get in trouble with this, but it doesn't look like a hosta to me. Not enough substance in the leaf?

Jon

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

man it looks so familiar ...

and mine still arent up ...

two come to mind.. it reminds me of bridegroon.. lacking the tip swirl .. and i cant remember the sister seedling ...

and it also reminds me of the old standard satiny one... with the quasi latin name ... and this name is bugging me that i cant remember it.. i can picture it in the garden.... but its pouring out there... so dont hold your breath ...

and then i thought of lksd black satin .... of which its not... but that is from ventricosa ... which .. lol.. is the one i think immediately above .. go figure ...

get rid if it.. its a POS ... lol .. as are all un-named hosta ... lol

ken

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

WOW Ken, I thought I was causing trouble.

Jon

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Ken, are you thinking of U. erromena?

The leaves look a bit narrow, but...?

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jon, it's definitely a hosta, LOL.

lykaon78, it is in the spot where I planted Korean Snow at least 6 years ago. It is obviously not streaked like KS, but maybe it is a seedling from KS that has grown really well :) I think the leaves do like like the size and shape of KS, but without the streaking/misting.

Ken, upon searching for a Bridegroom's sister seedling, I came across a reference to Stirfry (not even sure it was related to my original search, but I digress) and GUESS WHAT? I am almost positive that the plant I was calling Marilyn Monroe last week is actually Stirfry, LOL. I absolutely had Stirfry, and that looks right. Hooray! Another ID down. Just not the one for this post, haha!