Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Touch Of Class Fast Becoming My No. 1

Posted by harryshoe z6easternPA (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 12 at 12:27

I added Touch of Class last spring. It was purely impulse based on how healthy it looked in its 6" pot at the local nursery.

It was no baby when I bought it, but it has really grown over its first winter here. The color, pattern and leaf shape are simply outstanding. I think I could use these tough, thick leafs to shingle my roof!

TOC is my new favorite:

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Touch Of Class Fast Becoming My No. 1

Very nice. It is one that I have been wanting to get along with the larger version. Grand Marquee. I want them both.

o

Boy, that looks gorgeous. As much as I love that family of hosta, none of them grow well for me except June, which was a pretty good size when I got it. The rest have been so slow. My TOC is five years old and nowhere near that nice and full.

o

Beautiful. I love it. Oh, the wish list grows and grows. Do you think TOC would grow nicely in deep shade? I have a spot on the north side of the house that is also in dense shade from trees.
Christine

o

Oh Harry, I want my Touch of Class to look like yours.

Mine is in its second year, does the center thin out with age, or does it have to do with the amoun of sun?

Gesila

Photobucket

o

• Posted by babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Sat, May 5, 12 at 14:31

Mine varies from year to year. I looked up some past photos (4 years' worth) and it could be two different plants! But what would you expect from a sport of "June" that behaves the same way by changing her looks depending on the sun. I don't always keep track of where I place my pots because I move them around depending on what I like at the time. Why don't you just get another one just to see...

-Babka

o

Right now Touch of Class is the best looking Hosta in my yard.
Photobucket

Steve

o

I have Touch of Class (TOC) which is beautiful but would also like Grand Marquee. (GM) because of the narrower center. From what I see posted I think TOC has a wider yellow center than Grand Marquee. Is Harry sure he has TOC. I think he might have GM or is the wideness of the yellow center determined by the amount of sunlight the plant receives.

o

Sat, May 5, 12 at 21:03

Is is interesting that these two, TOC and GM, are from different parentage. Not just from Halcyon>June. I mentioned in another post that my TOC over 4 years (this is its 5th) looks like two different plants depending, I guess, on light conditions. As always, when in doubt...just get one of each and see for yourself. That is always a great excuse to get more.

-Babka

o

Beautiful! I now need to add Touch of Class to my wish list!

o

Here is my TOC, one of my favorites

2012-04-30185436

o

Touch of Class is in a very shady spot here. It receives just a little early morning sun.

I do prefer the narrow center "flame" stripe. Dream Weaver is the only other hosta here which is close in appearance. My new Lakeside Beach Captain has not yet shown its full colors.

I checked the label which came with my TOC. Its from Garden Splendor which is a featured provider at the local nursery. I have had good luck with hosta purchased there. The picture on the tag has a much wider center stripe.

o

Here's mine from thsi morning. Shady spot most of the day with a little morning sun.

Alexa

Photobucket

o

It is interesting that these two, TOC and GM, are from different parentage. Not just from Halcyon>June.

Grand Marquee is likely a sport of Halycon or June (not a sport of Carder Blue as the registration says). Refer to The Hostapedia, page 376, for information on this.

Touch of Class is a sport of June, which is a sport of Halycon.

I think these two hostas are probably very closely related, which is why they are nearly identical.

A few others that are somewhat similar in appearance are Catherine, Dinner Jacket, and Olympic Sunrise. Not sure if we could really see much difference between these if we planted them all in a row...

o

Sun, May 6, 12 at 17:21

Silly me, I was going by the Hosta Registry and My Hostas Database. I don't have the Hostapedia. I think I used to have every book ever published about hostas, but now the only one I keep is Zilis' little "Hosta Handbook". I'm finding that even by the time these books get published, they are out of date. I would tend to believe Mark Zilis, and if he thinks they are both sports with Halcyon in their ancestry, that is good enough for me. Thanks, Don, for the heads up.

-Babka

o

Here is my Touch of Class from last year....it looks nicer than I remembered it. I still find it slow, which is why I guess it doesn't grab me as some others. Mine has the narrow streak, too. I'll have to pay attention this year and see if it looks the same.

Photobucket

o

Here is mine from last year, it was my favorite. This year I am only starting to see just one eye poking....dissapointing.

Photobucket

o

No problem, Babka.

Here's what Zilis says in The Hostapedia:

"I doubt that 'Grand Marquee' sported from its listed mother plant, 'Carder Blue'. 'Grand Marquee' bears a close resemblance to 'Olympic Sunrise' and 'Touch of Class', two sports related to 'Halcyon', and does not appear anything like 'Carder Blue'. The latter is a 'Tokudama'-type that bears larger, broader leaves with more vein pairs (16) than 'Grand Marquee' (12). It also becomes a larger mound and produces near-white flowers from late June into mid-July, versus the pale lavender flowers in July-August of 'Grand Marquee'."

IMO, 'Grand Marquee' must be a sport (or perhaps a seedling) of something with a Tardiana background...it surely looks much more like that than 'Tokudama'.

o

It is indeed a very RICH looking plant,

o

Here are my Touch of Class, Grand Marquee and June

Touch of Class
Touch of Class 4/27/12

Grand Marquee
Grand Marquee 4/27/12

June
June 4/27/12

Both TOC and Grand Marquee are under a maple tree (I know) on the north side of the house, so have very little sun. They are very similar but I like them both. TOC also looks good way into the fall.

o

Beautiful,all of you!! It looks like I'm the only one who doesn't have one,but I have never seen one in person. Maybe my local nursery has one,but I doubt it. I still haven't haven't gone up the road to the nursery two counties up from me this year,though. Phil

o

I'm very pleased that I purchased Touch of Class this year. I placed it directly next to the better looking of my June plants, so that I can appreciate the differences and the shared lineage. Like June, TOC obviously shows incredible variation in amount of variegation. It's one to photograph every year to see how it changes over time, not only in shape and size, but also in color.

o

I have fallen under its spell-must.add.to.list. To.buy!!

o

The 'Dark Side' becons to me, indymom76! lol

Les

o

I thought I'd add mine to the bunch of TOC photos here...since it has finally unfurled.

Photobucket

Connie May

o

Just wanted to note that the OP's picture is no longer Touch of Class.

o

You're right, Hippie! Oh well....here's mine, which was a bonus plant from Hallson's in April of last year:
Touch of Class 2012

Karen

o

I cannot figure out how that happened?

o

....hmmmmm, talk about confused.....which way did he go?????
Post it again Harry. Maybe it will be TOC this time.

Like frostynyc says, I like to put family together, and having June next to TOC would be the way I'd feature them. So I could enjoy the similar/different nature of the plants. It is a way for me to educate my eye. Hosta are filled with infinite variation, and I like that a lot. Never boring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here