Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandys_garden

I picked up h. Praying Hands today

brandys_garden
9 years ago

On my way to work this morning, I stopped by the C of O garden center. I hadn't been there for some time, so I decided to look around. They had some small Praying Hands, so I picked one up. It's only $3. So I am at 18 now. Wish I had a pic to share but I can't upload from work. I'll try to get one up soon, though.

Comments (15)

• jimr66
    9 years ago

I picked up a small one last for $3.00 too. I t seems to be vigorous, prob. tripled in size in one season. Congrats..
    J.

• tepelus
    9 years ago

I picked up a good sized one for I don't know how much, but it has about six to seven eyes on it. It's to replace the one that died this winter. I had that one going on five years in the same pot with golden creeping Jenny growing around it. Neither PHs or the Jenny survived our miserable winter. I'm going to try it again in the same pot, after I give the pot a good cleaning.

Karen

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

i like my praying hands, they multiply every year, and have front row seating here. Gee maybe stained glass and cathedral windows should be the backdrop ...

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

here's one of my pots of PH

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Perhaps a pot with 'Devil's Advocate' next to praying hands, so DA can whisper into their ears...Psssst...Pssssssst...!!! "Remember our 'deal' that got you HOTY..Enjoy your fame....I'll be collecting sooner than you thiiiiik..."

Don B.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

you been smokin' agin donny boy?

or did you just rediscover your stash of pain meds from the foot thing?

How's that goin', BTW?

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

My foot is A-OK Buddy...Don't need drugs to call out how Praying Hands ever 'earned' HOTY Honors. Don't believe me, it was on HGTV:" The Dark Side of America's Most popular Perennial" Look it up, it's in the intrawebs there...Put it in the Google Machine...

...obviously you peeps... still havent... found your sense... of humor...crikey...

don b ...ps... its carp...BTW, That's 'a-g-a-i-n' Dave, not 'a-g-i-n'. Shoulda studied less German and more of your native tongue back in H.S. Jeeez.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 3:43

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    9 years ago

Don, I have mine planted not far from Croicosmia 'Lucifer' !

While I have it, I see it as an interesting perennial, rather than a hosta, it reminds me of sansevieria or the mother inlaw's tongue. I don't love it and I don't hate it.

Denis

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

LOL Denis! Funny you mentioned that plant. My Mother-in-Law is coming to stay with us for a few weeks...tomorrow.

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 3:41

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

I still haven't got this one - the only hosta I have to "acquire" a taste for. I'm going to see how it does for you, Brandy so please update us from time to time with pics?

Don, you are probably a real charmer in your m-i-L's eyes! Enjoy the visit and make sure you introduce her to all your new hostas since her last visit, lol. :-)

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to respond. But, it looks a lot like Bragu's, only smaller. It's cute and it's different for sure. I wasn't sure I'd like it after I got it... I had a little buyer's remorse at first. But, now I like it. I pride myself on having different hostas that are unusual and you don't see much in this area.

People keep asking me what's wrong with it? "Why hasn't it unfurled yet?" I tell them it has and that's as much as it does, and they say "Really? Hmmm. That's different. Now I see why it's called 'Praying Hands' as it looks like hands praying. Clever!"

I've got lots of pics but no computer yet. :( So I will put them on cd at Walmart this weekend and see if I can upload them from work.

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

I've got my Praying Hands next to Holy Mole and a small statue of St. Fiacre between them.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

That's OK, Brandy, don't sweat it, I don't expect pics necessarily, more interested in how it grows on you and it sounds like it has so that is a big plus!

I feel for you --- it is hard to adjust to being without a computer, no matter for how long.

I chuckled at your story re "what's wrong with it"? Good one.

I always felt like you do but about my perennials...to collect/grow something different that you don't see every day. Now I realize that kind of thinking doesn't apply to hostas, even when I try, because the pull to buy everything in sight is so great! LOL

Jo
    P.S. I bought something today that is as whacky as Wheee! Stay tuned! :-)

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

I love my Praying Hands. :) I have several by division and by dumping a pot of dirt into a garden where it must have had a tiny eye in it. It's a tough little baby.
    And don't let anyone tell you they don't bloom, because they do. The stalks aren't much taller than the leaves, but they're little purple flowers. Quite delicate.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

I like mine Praying Hands, too. It is so different.
    {{gwi:991035}}