ken_adrian

virus primer

at the link

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Comments (5)

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link Ken. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I became aware of HVX , and got rid of a large montana Aureomarginata that exhibited one funky looking leaf.

The mA I got rid of was a division from one I bought in 2001. I never noticed any sign of HVX in my original mA or another division (never looked that hard either) until last Sept. when both mA's exhibited one funky leaf (photo).
    I'm going to assume it's HVX but keep the mA's and exercise precaution so as not to spread the virus.

If (a big IF) the virus didn't show up on my original mA until last year it questions the value of isolating a box store hostas to insure being disease free before incorporating into garden.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

What I noticed is that I do not know what I have.
    That single leaf above might be a genetic aberration. I had a little bleeding on 3 plants last year, but tests in summer and fall showed no HVX.
    I found two hostas with HVX last year via Agdia strips (I no longer guess), got rid of those, carefully. I did not move those, had them in their spots several years. I could have slipped by using the same pruner to cut off spent scapes, do not remember. I do not see any signs yet of HVX this spring, but I never know.
    Keeping a healthy looking big box hosta, or from any other place, isolated for one or 2 years, does not mean much. It might show in 3 or 4 years to have HVX.
    Bernd

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    9 years ago

Well Berdn it could be an aberration. The photos below are from my other two mA's.

This is from first division that I got rid of in 2012

This is from my original mA

Veely interesting that only one weird leaf on three different hostas.

John

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I wish we could make the HVX notice a "sticky" that would stay at the top, not just in the FAQ's. It is a very serious problem and anyone growing hostas should be made aware.

-Babka

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I am not good at guessing, so I trust Agdia strips only.

John, in respect to that picture right after your "This is from first division that I got rid of in 2012", I have a seedling which had one leaf like that, one leaf between 40 seedlings in a totally steril environment in my basement, that is no contacts at all with my garden and tools used there. I simply ripped it off. I do not think it was HVX.
    Bernd