Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajfan

LARGEST Hosta

ajfan
16 years ago

I'm looking to purchase an extra large hosta and I do have a list of the larger varieties. In all of your infinite wisdom I see here on this site which is the largest ever hosta you've had good luck with. I'd like a chartreuse variety or gold if possible. Thanks for any input you can provide.

Comments (25)

• Teresa_MN
    16 years ago

I don't think I have ever seen you post here before - WELCOME!

I would say Sum & Substance from my experience but I m not one of the experts here.

Teresa

• sassy7142
    16 years ago

I'd say Sum & Substance too.
    Here's why....IMHO, of course.

It's huge.
    It's brightly colored.
    It grows pretty fast.
    It's sun tolerant.
    It's pretty slug resistant.
    It's not an expensive hosta.

I don't think that you could go wrong with a Sum & Substance

• sumangel
    16 years ago

If you like leaves that are 14" X 18" + "Sum & Substance" is your baby. My two favorite fast growing BIG hosta are S & S and Blue Angel . That's why My name is "Sumangel"

• maryann_____chgo
    16 years ago

I like to post this S & S every now and then just to see who's paying attention . . . .
    It's my biggest one.

And Sassy, this slug was feasting on mine . . . .

• sassy7142
    16 years ago

Maryann,
    Guess it isn't as slug resistant as I thought.
    My S&S is planted near a Cherry Berry and
    a Wide Brim. (100% Pure Slug Bait)
    I suppose if I were a slug, I'd pick
    the Cherry Berry or Wide Brim first too.
    Sure would be a heck of a lot less slithering up for a meal. LOL

• klas8405
    16 years ago

I think T. Rex might be bigger, but also more expensive.
    I agree that Sum and Substance is a good choice if $$$ is an issue!!!

• bobinfrance
    16 years ago

I have Sum and Substance and find it relativley slow growing if you want huge leaves and a quick grower try Beauty Substance mine is three years old and is producing leaves 40x30cm. Its a sport of Lady Isobelle Barnet also a large good growing plant for me
    Bob

• donrawson
    16 years ago

Here's my list of very large hostas. Some hostas will get extremely large leaves while others may have slightly smaller leaves but will eventually form a humungous clump. Two huge green cultivars are Mr. Big and Jurassic Park. Don

Here's some links that may be helpful:

Leaf of 'Mr. Big': "http://www.eminencemeadows.com/hostas/hmrbig.jpg"

Photo of mature clump of 'Mr. Big': "http://www.forestfarm.com/search/closeup.asp?PlantID=homr055"

Photo of 'Jurassic Park': "http://www.mwt.net/~ngp/jurassic_park.htm"

VERY LARGE HOSTAS

ÂAbiqua Elephant EarsÂ
    ÂArch DukeÂ
    ÂBeaÂs ColossusÂ
    ÂBeauty SubstanceÂ
    ÂBehemothÂ
    ÂBethel Big LeafÂ
    ÂBig BoyÂ
    ÂBig DudeÂ
    ÂBig JohnÂ
    ÂBig SamÂ
    ÂBigfootÂ
    ÂBirchwood Blue BeautyÂ
    ÂBirchwood EleganceÂ
    ÂBlackjackÂ
    ÂBlue AngelÂ
    ÂBlue GiantÂ
    ÂBlue MammothÂ
    ÂBlue OxÂ
    ÂBorsch #1Â
    ÂBottom LineÂ
    ÂBurnished BrassÂ
    ÂChances AreÂ
    ÂColossalÂ
    ÂCrater LakeÂ
    ÂCyclopsÂ
    ÂEl CaptainÂ
    ÂElatiorÂ
    ÂEola SapphireÂ
    ÂGiganteaÂ
    ÂGolden MemoriesÂ
    ÂGolden SculptureÂ
    ÂGoliathÂ
    ÂGreen AcresÂ
    ÂGreen Center Sum and SubstanceÂ
    ÂGreen PiecrustÂ
    ÂHarrisonÂ
    ÂIndependence DayÂ
    ÂJade CascadeÂ
    ÂJade LancerÂ
    ÂJurassic ParkÂ
    ÂKing JamesÂ
    ÂKing MichaelÂ
    ÂKiwi Pacific BlueÂ
    ÂKomodo DragonÂ
    ÂLady in Waiting
    ÂLakeport BlueÂ
    ÂLakeside MaestroÂ
    ÂLakeside RipplesÂ
    ÂLakeside Surf RiderÂ
    ÂMastodonÂ
    ÂMidnight SunÂ
    ÂMikadoÂ
    ÂMing JadeÂ
    ÂMoby DickÂ
    ÂMonitorÂ
    montana
    montana ÂMacrophyllaÂ
    ÂMr. BigÂ
    ÂMuriel Seaver BrownÂ
    ÂNesmithÂs GiantÂ
    ÂNorth Pacific HighÂ
    ÂOlive Bailey LangdonÂ
    ÂParadigmÂ
    ÂParhelionÂ
    ÂPaul BunyanÂ
    ÂPerryÂs True BlueÂ
    ÂPresidentÂs ChoiceÂ
    ÂPrince AlbertÂ
    ÂRuffles GaloreÂ
    ÂSea AquariusÂ
    ÂSea Blue MonsterÂ
    ÂSea DragonÂ
    ÂSea MonsterÂ
    ÂShining ImageÂ
    ÂShogunÂ
    sieboldiana ÂGray ColeÂ
    sieboldiana ÂMiraÂ
    sieboldiana ÂSieboldiana (Hensen)
    ÂSky KissedÂ
    ÂSnowboundÂ
    ÂSo BigÂ
    ÂSpace OdysseyÂ
    ÂStoneÂs Yellow LeafÂ
    ÂSum and SubstanceÂ
    ÂSum It UpÂ
    ÂSum of AllÂ
    ÂSum TotalÂ
    ÂSumiÂ
    ÂSwamp MonsterÂ
    ÂT RexÂ
    ÂTattletale GrayÂ
    ÂTenryuÂ
    ÂThai BrassÂ
    ÂTitanicÂ
    ÂTrailÂs EndÂ
    ÂVim and VigorÂ
    ÂYellow RiverÂ
    ÂXanadu Empress WuÂ

P.S. Wouldn't it be fun to plant ALL of these huge hostas together to compare them all and see which ones REALLY got the largest under identical growing conditions? It would also be exciting to make crosses of these mammoths to see if we could come up with a new hybid that would even get more massive!!!

• donrawson
    16 years ago

Oops, here are the links to the message I just posted. Don

"Mr. Big"

"Jurassic Park"

• lisasmall
    16 years ago

You want a gold? Maybe you should consider 'Lakeside San Kao' which... oh, look for yourself. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Library 'Lakeside San Kao'

• kent
    16 years ago

Some of my favorites include

Bobbie Sue (fast growing for me, wonderful crisp white edge)
    Komodo Dragon (great leaf & plant shape)
    Niagara Falls (great ruffles, and nice dome shape)
    Parhelion ((in my opinion the best Sum & Sub sport)

As for Sum & Substance, I know I'm not in the majority here but I really hate this plant. Yes, it's big and has great substance but the color is bland and it's doesn't add anything but size to the garden. I like my plants to have more intense color, and an interesting shape. Just my opinion.

Cheers,
    Kent

• shade_tolerant
    16 years ago

That Sum and Sub is gorgeous Mary Ann!!
    But ack, that slug, I need a slug warning, that one was really gross!! Hope you squished him good.

• sassy7142
    16 years ago

Maryann,
    Now I remember where I read that S&S is
    slug resistant.
    I read it at "Made In The Shade" website.
    Well, a picture is worth a thousand words.
    Slugs like S&S too.
    Sassy

• hermit52
    16 years ago

Most of my hosta's are in there youthfull stages. only a year or two old. I have S&S, Krossa Reagle SieboldianaÂ,ÂBlue MammothÂ, Blue Angel Big Daddy, and gold Standerd to name a few,but I'd like to add to my collection . especially the Jerrasic Park and T Rex if I can ever find them.

• caliloo
    16 years ago

Hey Don!

I sent an email too - but just in case you don't get it.....

You probably want to take El Capitan off the list of big ones. It is listed as a med-large and mine (4 years in the garden) is med at best.

Thanks for maintaining the lists and posting them for us all to reference - it is a great help!

Alexa

• momtoanangel74
    16 years ago

In my opinion, Sum and Substance is a quick grower and gets huge for a smaller price. Luckily two years ago my sister was working at the local nursery, they ended up with a ton of single eye divisions that they didn't want to repot and sell, she was able to bring over a dozen home for me which I planted all the way around our swimming pool. I wanted something large and being a hostaholic, this was a good choice and it was free! I like Sum and Substance as the large background hosta's, and then I add all the different ones in front of them. I also like Thunderbolt- it stands tall with leaves more upright than mounding (if that makes sense). I love they way they look in my hosta garden. I have Thunderbolts on the entire backside of it.

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    16 years ago

If you want large and a chartreuse or gold, S&S fits the bill. Bonus that it's cheap, and available.

• scootersbear
    16 years ago

Although I agree with S&S, a word of warning it is extremely prone to HVX and I've yet seen one from Home Depot or Lowes without HVX so buy it from a reputable dealer
    Mr Big is a lot bigger than S&S but thats if you wait 15 years for it to mature. Slow is not the word for this hosta, that slug is a lot faster.
    Of course the Hostalibrary is a good place to look and get a good idea of what your looking for.

• hermit52
    16 years ago

I would like to thank don-r and Northern Grown Perennials for all of there help in getting me my jerrasic park,T Rex,and my Abequ Elephant ears hosta. They are doing just fine and make a wonderful addition to my collection.I look forward to the day that I can post a photo of my plant's when they rally start to take off. And thanks to you all for your information on this sight.

• ademink
    16 years ago

maryann...is that a jar of peanut butter on the leaf? lol

• kines
    16 years ago

My Choo Choo Train has grown twice as fast as my two S&S's, and IMHO is way more attractive!

KN

• kines
    16 years ago

Choo Choo Train - I love this plant!

{{gwi:992071}}

And S&S - it's OK I guess....lol.

{{gwi:992073}}

• jennie_in_mt
    16 years ago

I am new to the forum, but may I chime in?

My S&S is in a spot that gets some good sun each day and its color is so bright and beautiful. This is the 4th year for it here and it is starting to get really a grand size (much shorter season for expansion here on the northern rim!). I am thrilled to think that it will continue to get bigger as time passes. I was always partial to the blues, so I didn't think I would like it but the price was right, and I am so glad I did get it! I am now a chartruese (sp?) convert! LOL

• gregory2327
    16 years ago

Agreed Sum and Substance is THE way to go. Many of it's sports look great too like Bottom Line and Lady Isobelle Barnet. Give it time and you won't be disappointed. It's coloring, mound and substance are great.

• papou
    16 years ago

Here's an alternative for an exceptionally nice and huge yellow-gold: Grand Canyon
    In its third year only, it has reached 20"high x 44"wide this year. I have great hope for this hosta ...which should mature over 70" wide.

{{gwi:992075}}

Papou

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!