Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gesila_gw

I threw them on the driveway

Gesila
9 years ago

A couple of weeks ago, I dumped the balls of dirt out of my hostas that were in pots that hadn't come up yet. The roots and crown looked like total mush. I thought they were goners. So, I took the clumps of dirt and threw them on the driveway. I noticed today that two of them came back, Lewis & Clark and Moby Dick!

Thanks Ken, it really works!

Gesila

Comments (5)

• Cher
    9 years ago

Darn now I'm wishing I would have done that with my losses. Nice to hear about yours though.
    Cher

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

OK .. you cracked me up ...

thank God you didnt jump to step two.. and run them over with the truck ... lol ...

only use step two ... IF .. you are sure they are dead...

its a payback ... lol .. it makes you feel better.. to teach an inert lump of dirt a lesson ...

ken

• sandysoil_2008 6A Near Boston
    9 years ago

It's not the driveway - but last year I potted up all my albomarginatas for the local plant swap. You folks turned me into a hostaholic and I needed room for my wish list hostas. Four of them were so ratty looking that I figured no one would want them so I pitched them over the fence into the woods. In spite of one of the coldest winters on record, three of them survived and look great. So they're potted up and on their way to this year's plant swap!

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

That is cool!

Well, you certainly can't kill Antioch, I can attest to that! I've been trying without trying for years. I just really hate that hosta, I just can't help it! I don't like the colors at all and whatever pest/bug that lives around here LOVES making Antioch a meal, but never bothers my others, thank God. The previous owner's planted them in droves, along with ventricosas and I have done everything (second-hand, of course) short of strangling them to death with my bare hands (next year's plan) to beat them back. Last year, one came up right under a fresh planting that I had forgotten was there, and I didn't want to dig it up, so I spent spring and summer pinching off every leaf that emerged. Talk about death by 1,000 cuts. Haven't seen any sign of it this year. I know, I know, I've probably horrified half of you, but I really hate that hosta! I think it comes from 15+ years of staring at it everywhere in the yard. I would certainly bet it would live for YEARS on the driveway!

It's kind of strange, I guess, to have such a love/hate relationship with hostas. I love all of my others, but HATE Antioch. Every time I see a thread where someone has purchased one, I just cringe. I think I'm scarred for life!

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

over the fence and into the woods
    those miserable hostas go
    neglected by some
    but noticed by others
    where's my plastic spoon?

_~

dave

Note: refer to item No. 9 on ken's garden etiquette post

This post was edited by bragu on Thu, May 22, 14 at 18:39