Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paula_b_gardener5bon

Blue hostas not blue

This year none of my 'blues' are blue. This includes, Halcyon, El Nino (2 of them), Blue Angel among others.

Is this a result of the weather? Will they return normally next year?

Comments (9)

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

If your hosta are just coming up....give em time to blue up.

Paul

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I agree. I bought a Big Daddy at the first of the season and could have sworn it was green. If you looked at it at a certain angle, you might say it was blue. But then, it turned blue. It still is. It won't be long before it turns green again, though. With our heat, the blue melts by June.

bk

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

I have a Halcyon that is green, green, green this year. It was a tiny babe last year, but I could have sworn it was blue last year. Now, I'm wondering if I have a Halcyon at all! I really need to look back at last year's pics and see if I snapped one of it. It was so tiny, I wouldn't be surprised if I skipped it. Everything else that is supposed to be blue is and has been for a long while. Go figure.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

My Prairie Sky, Big Daddy and Halcyon all were looking very non-blue when they were coming up and leafing out. Now that they're fully unfurled, they've lost their very green cast, and look 'normal' again. Part of the 'hardening off' process? I don't know, just a guess.

Don B.

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

My powder blue really does this green appearance , then fade to blue... Hang in there on the Halycon, mine has gotten better this week...

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have had these plants for at least 3 years and they have always clearly been blue from the get go but this year they are all green. Maybe my eyesight is changing?

{{gwi:992339}}
    El Niño
    {{gwi:992340}}
    Halcyon

Here are the same plants last year in 2013
    {{gwi:992341}}
    El Niño
    {{gwi:992342}}
    Halcyon

Same camera

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Same time of day????? Same week of same temperatures? So much is weather dependent, and that must be the reason that my favorites change from month to month and year to year...sometimes week to week. Fickle, I guess.

My Queen of the Seas, which normally stays gray/blue all year, is stripey now. We had 3 days of 90 degrees (heat wave for here)and you can see where the sun hit the plant thru the 2x2 patio cover. Same deal with Autumn Frost.

-Babka

{{gwi:992343}}

{{gwi:992344}}

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Paula, I have the same boot planter as yours. I never thought of a hosta in one but have hen and chicks. I may have to find a hosta to pot in it instead. Too cute

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Same time of year but I don't know if it is the same time of day. That doesn't really matter because I 'know' it is green and not blue without the camera.

almosthooked - I love my boot, it was a gift from my DH. Hen and chicks would be cute, too.