Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erin_farr

please tell me i'm getting the hang of this...is this hvx?!

Another neighbour give away but it's been inside away from anything and everyone until I know for sure. I believe it to be virused..in fact I'm 90% sure this time, but last time I thought I had it, it was in fact frost burn.

Soooo am I right this time?

Comments (11)

• on_greenthumb
    10 years ago

I don't think so because the veins are the colour they are supposed to be.....I could be totally wrong though

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Looks like the normal greening of a white center...it gets that spray painted look.

• Erin Farr (Niagara Zone 6)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow I suck at this! Eventually I will get it right one of these days...I totally thought I had it though!

So what causes this "normal greening"...I have never witnessed this before. All my other white centers have remained white!

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

The classic signs of HVX would be bleeding of color and tissue collapse. I agree, it doesn't look like HVX.

Jon

Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought this looked like bleeding colour...hence why I was willing to stake 90% of my life on it! Thank goodness for that other 10%...

Always learning....

I hope I never run into HVX but if I do, I'm really hoping I can recognize it before its too late! Thank goodness again for all you helpful people!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

no.. you are not getting the hang of it..

you are overly fixated.. on what is usually a MINOR ISSUE ...

get over it.. lol ...

you are the first person.. i think it was you.. .. that actually found a plant .. in a garden.. that had it .... [i pointed it out.. right????]

most of us.. have seen it online.. and at nurseries ...

it is simply not that common...

relax.. many.. and i mean many.. hosta go through seasonal color change.. and none of it is virus ...

ken

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Yeah, since you hit HVX early on in your hosta addiction, it is probably more of a worry than it would normally be. You are the HVX vigilante! :)

As for white turning green, it is the plant making more chlorophyll to meet its needs...white leaves look nice but don't feed the plant! From what I gather, some varieties green up more than others.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

You are seeing something called misting in that plant. Sometimes, as others have said, this is a plant that greens up in the middle over the season. Whirlwind does this as well as some others. Streaking and Misting are often considered desirable characteristics. However there are some Hosta that are said to be disease free, that I won't touch. Check out H. Cynthia in the library. I wouldn't touch that one with a ten foot pole, but some folks have it in their garden.

Steve

Original Author
    10 years ago

You're right...I am over worrying and it is likely due to the fact I encountered it way to early as a hosta fan!

Ken, I appreciate your reassurance and trying to calm me down and have me stop worrying so much (you are right..it was me that found it in a garden). I also appreciate that you have also been one to respond to all of my posts...whether its in this forum or another...It tells me you really know your stuff (or you're stalking me...)

Please bear with me...and try to remember I have never grown or have no knowledge of hostas (or gardening) until this year really. Last year at this time I thought there were a total of maybe 12 cultivars of hosta....which I think I called, varieties or species....

Learning all the parts (eyes, crowns etc...) and all the terminology is tough when you have no idea what it all means and are just starting out. Then throw on top all the cultivars (another new word I learned) and their soil and shade preference...and on top of that all the different MINOR changes that I have not ever witnessed. I've never seen a hosta eyes until this year which is likely why I had the one growing beside my shed having dug it up not realizing what it was. Also frost burn, sun burn, growth of a leaf that had been stepped on as an eye, rabbit munching, and now this colouring changing thing...

Then on top of all that is learning how to photograph hostas, post to this board properly, and catalogue!

I know many of you are seasoned hosta growers and probably forget your first year of gardening, and you've all been so amazing with helping me out. I truly love learning about all the hostas and look forward when I can post to the cultivar threads I've seen with my own hostas.

I will relax on the HVX subject and hopefully I can post some progress photos here once my divisions fill out a bit. I'm very, very happy with the work I have done so far and have so many of you to thank for that.

• dg
    10 years ago

You should feel free to post if you have a HVX suspect hosta. It is a way to learn what the many leaf variances are and look like and what we should be watching for.

Each time you have a HVX concern and start a thread it's interesting and educational for me and I'm sure some others here too.

I could have used what your posts have taught me last year when I tossed a perfectly good hosta thinking it had HVX but I now believe it was not infected.

I'm glad there are so many gracious folks on this forum that will answer questions and give opinions without judgement of others.

Deb

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much Deb. Your post meant a lot to me and I cannot agree with you more!

Having been subjected to so many incidents already (frost, sunburn, rabbit munchers, colour changes, HVX, growth after being stepped on, maple key damage) I will be very surprised if I can come up with another "problem" thread. But not to jinx myself, I have still not seen slugs/snails, mold or mildew and I'm sure many other problems.

On that note, I just found a website that lists common problems and includes a photo example ('m hoping it's a good, accurate source)....based on this...I think I may have a slug problem with one of my hostas...perhaps I will post about it later!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Problems