Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rina_

New on hosta forum - have question...

I wondered here from other forums I have been reading for couple of years...trying NOT to get addicted to hostas, but have few I managed to move to my new location.
I am in z 5a, Ontario, Canada. My hostas seem to survived (I hope all-not sure yet) winter in pots, but have to stay there until I manage at least some beds. In the meantime, I really need to repot them all, since I just grabbed them in a hurry with whatever garden soil I managed to scoop up then.

My question is what type of soil mix are you using in the pots? I know that drainage is (most?) important....
IIRC, lots of remarks are about not using oversized pots.

I don't have any 'special' hostas I see lots of photos of here, but would like to save them anyway since - one day - I may be able to PIG them out. There is plenty of space available, but need to create some shadier areas too.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated...Rina

Comments (6)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

HI Rina,

Welcome to the forum. Although I grow in pots, maybe someone from Ontario give you more detail. I'm in Texas, so my conditions are very different.

I would like to clarify one area, though. Do you plan to leave them in pots, or do you want to put them there for a couple of weeks until you get the beds fixed? The biggest problems with pots is getting the hosta over the winter and through the spring without damage. There is lots of detail on overwintering that you won't need if this is temporary.

Assuming you are leaving them there for while, you need to get an appropriate sized pot. You will need well draining potting soil. Do not use moisture control potting soil, as it is hard to dry out and contributes to rot in the spring. It works fine if you are do not overwinter in the pot.

Let us know your plans and we can better tailor an answer to your needs.

bk

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Hi, Rina! There are quite a few threads on this very subject, one of the latest I've provided below. Informative reading. Enjoy! I've ended up using fine bark chips, peat and perlite..nice and fluffy and fast draining.

There is also an excellent and extensive thread about Al's gritty mix. I will attach it too. Rainy outside-great day for tea and reading!

Jo

P.S. Good to hear you haven't lost any hostas to date! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Brandy's recent thread on potting media

9 years ago

Here is the other link I mentioned.

Here is a link that might be useful: Potted hostas, potting mix, water movement by Al.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you bkay,
    and Jo (actually, as she knows - I am only abot 40km south of her...) - for the links.
    I have followed Al's gritty mix for succulents I have, and repotted other house plants into 5.1.1.-like mix. Always looking for fine pine bark. Any good source of bark that you can recommend, Jo? Should have been using my head before posting this question-as I also recommend his links, looks like I am not thinking, :-)

I'll be lucky if I manage to get any beds ready for fall planting, as of now it looks like maybe next spring. In that case, they will have to survive next winter in pots.
    I'll for sure keep some in pots permanently, since I like to move plants around a bit.

I am still waiting on few pots to see if they are hostas or not - nothing growing yet. I'll try to take inventory of what lived...most of the name tags/stakes got lost-mixed up or I never marked them (thinking, I'll remember this one...LOL)

Rina

9 years ago

Lol, I'm chuckling because I've done the same thing...thinking I'll remember..sometimes it works, sometimes not. Lol

The last batch I mixed up I used orchid mix bark...really nice small bits. It made up a beautiful soft mix - very porous when watering. The most recent bag I grabbed at Walmart is still lying around unused - they are too big so I'll have to re-purpose them as mulch or something. I'll have to go back to Garden Gallery on Hwy. 90 for the smaller bark - it was perfect! Around $7 for a small bag.

If I find something better I will let you know ASAP. Btw, when in a pinch, I just use straight potting mix from Miracle Grow. Works fine too if you don't pot your plants in too big a pot. I see the wisdom now in growing them in a somewhat crowded pot. I too learned from Bk!:-). If you will over-winter then put in the effort now and save yourself time, money and heartache later. You will be glad you did!

Rina, if you're inclined take a drive to (or call if you don't want to be tempted by plants, lol) Bradford Greenhouses Garden Gallery on Hwy. 11. See if they carry any bark fines. I'm not up to speed as to what they offer in that line. I will be going there (the Barrie one) on the week- end though. If I find anything interesting I'll email you and vice versa? :-). Warning: last year they had many, many hostas!

Jo

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jo, tempting...it's probably no more than 15-20min drive...will let you know IF (?) I go there...Rina