Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnchristine

Hosta ID

TNChristine
9 years ago

Here's the story.... I started collecting Hosta about 7 years ago. A few years into it I moved out of state then moved back about a year and a half ago. Since I returned I've been much more diligent about keeping up with the names. I've been able to ID most all of the older ones except this little guy. Here is a pic of him taken today after the rain. I appreciate any input you can give me.

Comments (10)

• TNChristine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a pic taken April 15th this year. He doesn't get much sun so he's lost alot of color.

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Rainforest Sunrise or Little Sunspot possibly. Better if you can take id pics when hosta are dry...for color and texture.

Paul

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I don't think it is Rainforest Sunrise or Little Sunspot because they don't go thru that color change (for me). Are the leaves so shiny when they are dry?
    As Paul suggests...can you take another photo when the leaves are dry?

-Babka

• TNChristine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Interesting Paul. I guess it could be either of those. I have rainforest sunrise which I acquired last year and as it gets several hours of sun it looks dramatically different with rounder, cupped and more puckered leaves and a much bigger plant already. Checked little sunspot on the Library and those pics have a wider margin than mine. But again could just be that mine has been in pretty deep shade. The hosta is dry now so here's a new pic.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Even in deep shade, I can't imagine that being Little Sunspot. Here's mine:

I'm iffy on the Rainforest Sunrise as well, did you say the hosta is about 7 years old? Did I read that right?

• TNChristine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, Funnthsun, I believe this plant to be about 7 years old. I managed to find a pic taken shortly after I planted it. It's dated 1999 but my camera back then must have not been set properly because I bought this house in 2001 and didn't start planting hosta until about 2006 or 7. Here's the picture(poor quality I know). The little thing doesn't appear to have grown much. Probably never got watered while I was out of state and the shade again. But I still like him even though he has no name.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

It looks like Whirlwind to me. They get real dark when out of the sun. Phil

• TNChristine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Phil, I think you're probably the closest with whirlwind. I have 2 whirlwind hostas. Both were purchased last year. One is in a pot and the leaf size is similar to the no ID. The other is in the ground and planted about 4 feet from the no ID but gets some morning sun. The leaf size on that plant is much larger than the no ID and it has also lost the twist on the leaf similar to no ID. These plants are so interesting how they do different things with only slightly different conditions. I think I may have 3 whirlwinds now. Thanks for your input everyone!

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

Could it be Whirlwind Tour?
    Vanessa

• TNChristine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Vanessa, it sure does look like it could be Whirlwind Tour. I just looked it up on the Library and database. I think it's much more likely that the nursery I got it from would have Whirlwind. But based on the missing leaf twist I think it could be Whirlwind Tour. Thanks!