Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Up then out?

Posted by ivysmom 8b/9a (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 12 at 13:17

OK, so far the 4 hostas I have in planter boxes in our shady alley, plus the one (Sum & Substance) potted in an oak barrel getting lots more sun are doing great! However, I noticed that my Empress Wu has started a more upright growth after being boxed and put in the alley, and the Sum and Substance is doing the same out in the sun. Is this normal?

The Patriot is sending up a scape and its growth is a small sprawl (horizontal). The June is a nice combo of up and out, the Stained Glass is a wonderful tangle of new eyes that look like a bad hair day.

Do certain sports/types have different growth habits (or different when they are young plants) than others, necessarily?

Btw, that Blue Yankee with the weirdo scape I cut off is growing slowest, but it is growing more out than up. It seems fine so far.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Up then out?

Different hosta have different growth habits. Look at Sagae in the Hostalibrary.org for upright growth. I'm sure there are better examples, but, at my house,Wide Brim is more sprawling, to use your term. I don't have Patriot, so I'm not sure about it. Sum and Substance is pretty upright. I don't have Empress Wu, but I think it's upright, too.

When you go to the hostalibrary, on the upper left hand corner is a link to myhostas.be which often has a description. On EW, it uses the term, "strongly upright".

bk

o

S&S will end up being a mound shape as will EW. Ones like Regal Splendor, Krossa Regal, Sagae will be vase shaped.

Most young hosta will look different while immature. They can also look different early in the Spring before they are fully leafed out.

o
Good answer!

Much better answer, Frank.

bkay

o

Patriot will develop a compact mound of leaves on petiole that are perpendicular to the ground but quite short; upright but not vase shaped.

Les

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here