Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropic_lover

I bought a few more...

I found a few that I just couldn't pass up today at my local nursery. I bought Liberty and Seducer for me and I picked up a Rainbow's End for my daughter...Yes, I have suceeded in getting her hooked on them too! I have been wanting these two really bad after seeing everyone else's beautiful pictures. They both are good sized plants with 5 eyes on each one of them.

They also had an Atlantis and now I wish I had bought that one too! Maybe I should go back....

Linda

Comments (21)

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    9 years ago

Nice plants--Go back and get the Atlantis!

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah what was I thinking??? They are also 20% off this weekend. I will go back and get it....good thing it's only 5 miles away LOL.

Linda

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

oh crikey.. just save the gas.. and buy one of everything ... you know you want them.. you will figure out later what to do with them ... lol

ken

ps: chalk another one up as to being fully enabled ... good work my GW peeps ...

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    9 years ago

Remember: "few equals less than 100"

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL...I only have a few hostas then because I have less than 100.

I went back and got a nice Atlantis, Rainforest Sunrise and montana Aureo marginata.

Linda

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Nice hostas Linda and this thread was great.! Your last post had me chuckling (for a while!). Do we ever just buy one? Our voice of reason just goes out the window, especially if they're on sale!

Gesila

This post was edited by Gesila on Mon, May 26, 14 at 0:42

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gesila, Yes my voice of reason went right out the window and I went back for the Atlantis and picked up 2 more as well as a Zipper Heuchera. The Atlantis did not have a price tag on it so they only charged me $5 for it. Who could pass that up???

I keep telling myself I don't have room for any more hosta since I don't have a lot of shade....hmmm...maybe I should buy a tree.

Linda

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

You really found a lot of great hostas this weekend. You'll never regret going back for Atlantis, or the other two, heehee. I was thinking you found them at Valley until you wrote..."The Atlantis did not have a price tag on it so they only charged me $5 for it." That doesn't sound like them. ...And I'm trying to find the right tree for more shade, also. A big priority is that it has to have hosta friendly roots. Happy planting, we're about to warm up.

• User
    9 years ago

Tropic, what you need is a big market umbrella, and a nice chair, a tall glass of sweet tea, and your hosta there in the shade.

Don't wait for the tree to grow, get the shade and the hosta now.
    My garden from 2013 April.
    {{gwi:993573}}

Looks sort of skimpy in that picture. Not enough hosta.
    Here it is this year, different view.

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Who needs shade when you can grow them like this in the sun?

Here's the part of my sun garden that I have cleaned up so far (and yes, I am a true enabler, I've included names for you):

I'm in Zone 5B, but am surrounded by areas that are Zone 6.

Gesila

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sandyslopes- Let me know if you figure out what the right tree is. Are Honey Locusts bad? I like those ones that are bright yellow. I bought the hostas at J and J. They had a bunch of ones I wanted this year and they are cheaper than Valley.

Mocc- I did have a big umbrella but last year a big windstorm came up and broke it when I was not home to run out and save it. Your garden looks really good this year, so much more filled out. Imagine what it will be next year!

Gesila- You are so lucky you can plant them in the sun. I have a new area that I planted some in this year which gets sun until after noon. I hope they don't fry. It gets pretty hot here in the summer and I don't think they could take full sun. I do have a spot along the east side of my house where I am thinking of planting some but it gets sun until about 2pm.

And you are such an enabler! I love the picture of your sun garden. I see quite a few in there that I already have and few more that I want. I just got Sunpower and Queen Josephine this year and they are still in pots. Your Empress Wu is huge...much bigger than mine!

Linda (hopelessly addicted)

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

Linda,
    It sounds like we're considering the same tree, a Sunburst Honey Locust. Funny that I was looking at them at J&Js last year. But I'm conflicted about that one. I like the yellow color in spring when I'd have a lot of yellow daffodils under it, but I've seen some before they leaf out that remind me of Halloween trees, lol. Without leaves they're dark and scraggly looking.

A good thing is they're fast growers, but I was thrown by the mature size of 25' to 30', which might be too big in my space. Would that work in your yard?

Another good thing is that they do have those ferny type leaves that provide nice, dappled shade for hostas. But I've gotten conflicting info on the root system, which I'd want to be sure about. I also wanted one I could bring home and plant myself but have never seen a smaller one being sold yet.

If you end up getting one or find a better tree, let me know. As you can tell, I'm having trouble deciding. ...(from another post, looks like you have a great dog in Cheyenne, and another big one in the background. They're so nice to have around).

Gesila, your garden is beautiful! Would that be a morning sun garden? Just guessing that your Michigan sun might be kinder than our Utah sun. I had some hostas is full sun last year for the first time, so they fried, of course. I'm watching them this year to see if they can acclimate, but I'm doubtful. It gets pretty intense at the height of summer.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sandy- I looked at 2 different yellow Honey locust trees at J and J the other day. One called Sunburst and the other called Skyline. The tags on on Sunburst said 40' and the other one said 45'. They were around $100 and quite tall. I thought there was a shorter growing yellow one but maybe I am wrong. I see these trees planted everywhere in places you would think they would not plant a tree that gets that big. My neighbor to the east has a regular Honey locust and it is pretty big. Not sure I have room for something that big.

So as you can see I am undecided too.

I actually have 3 dogs- a Border Collie/American Eskimo mix who is 15 1/2 yrs old, a 4 yr old American Eskimo and the husky who is 3 yrs old. We rescued her from the Shelter.

Linda

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here is a picture of my old girl Charlee, she is a sweetheart!

Linda

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And one more- my favorite picture of Cheyenne and Kai.

You could say I have a passion for dogs and gardening!

Linda

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

All wonderful hostas! I don't have Atlantis, but I bought Neptune this past weekend.

I am at the stage that Ken has suggested - buy them anyway and then figure out what to do with them :)

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

Your dogs look sooo cute. What sweet faces. (Pretty yard in the background, too). Charlee at 15 1/2, that's amazing! I had a wonderful Collie mix, but I haven't been able to bring myself to get another dog yet. Someday soon I hope.

Wow, 40' - 45' is even bigger than I realized those trees could get. Way too big for the spot I have in mind. The search continues.

• threedogsmom
    9 years ago

Linda,

I also have a passion for my dogs and my garden. I have 2 Great Danes and an English Lab, and have to put up fencing around the beds to keep the dogs out. I didn't see any fencing around your beds you you must have GOOD puppies :) Usually when the gardens get so grown-in that you can't see openings or mulch, I can take down the fencing. I don't want to take a chance that they will trample anything or break stalks off or start munching on any plants. Thanks for sharing the pooch pics :)
    Amy

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Sandyslopes and Ravensfan. I spend a lot of time outside with the dogs and try to teach them to stay out of the garden. My oldest one along with another dog that we had to put down a couple of years ago were the first dogs I owned. The other one was a Border Collie/ Australian Shepard mix and she was the smartest dog ever! If her ball went into the garden she would look and you and bark until to got it for her. She always stayed on the lawn.

My 2 newer ones are not quite that good, especially the Eskimo, he thinks he can go where ever he wants and I am always telling him to get out of the garden. Once the plants get big they mostly stay out. I have learned to leave a few places open where they can visit the neighbor dogs thru the fence.

Sandy-I know how hard it is to lose a dog but they way I look at it is there are so many dogs in the shelters that need somebody to give them a chance at life and they will give you unconditional love in return. My son was so upset at losing our first dog, so when he asked if we could get the Husky, I just couldn't say no. She is such sweet girl and not at all the bad dog I thought she might be after researching all the info online about huskies.

Paula- I am also at that stage LOL. I keep buying ones that will eventually get really big. For some reason I am not that interested in small ones.

Linda

• User
    9 years ago

Linda, when I was a kid, a white dog like your American Eskimo wandered up, and stayed for several years. We called her Snowball. Very nice dog. We did not know what she was, but my mom thought it was a spitz, so that is what we said she was. Now I see she was the AmEskimo.

Gesila, thank you for the names. I right clicked on your picture and chose "set it as background" so I can read all the names. Cannot read all of them with this forum window open, but I can fix that you bet, such a neat gold bed you have. Can you believe that here in zone 9a, some of mine are still hanging in the sunshine and they are the golds? Once the leaf toughens up, it can take a lot. The ones with heavy substance especially. I moved Bibb Lettuce and some of the new fragrant ones with the green flexible leaves into afternoon shade, so they would not have holes burned in the leaves. Water boils inside the leaves I think, so it really is a scalding burn.

Yep, you are an enabler alright. Pass it along.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Very endearing doggies, just look at those sweet faces! They are beautiful.

Nice new hostas too! Lol Fighting urge to jump in the car to go hosta shopping!! I'm still waiting to have half of my last order filled! I better wait.

Gesila, my what a lovely sun garden display. I don't have much space left but full sun available. Doing "homework" right now and taking stock of what is in pots that can tolerate lots of sun. I need someone like you here to point and say, "that one, and that one, and that one" etc.! Lol

Jo

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022