Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

How to Post A Picture (Photo)

paul_in_mn
12 years ago

You've finally figured out how to save those goregeous garden photos onto your computer -- well, we'd love to see pictures of your hostas and gardens in this forum - it's very easy to do.

Step 1 - Create an account on a photo hosting website. You need this to upload and store pictures you want to share. Many hosting sites are free to use - I'll use Photobucket as an example.

Step 2 - Uploading your photos. Click the green bar marked Upload now in Photobucket. You now have choices of where picture is coming from(most likely your computer) and where it will be stored(Album), click the green bar marked Select photos and videos.

A popup window with directories appears - locate and select the picture(s) you which to download and click Open. The files will start downloading -- when complete you can add a title and description if you wish -- Press Save and continue to my album

Step 3 - Copying your stored photo into your message. It is easier to do this if you have a couple of tabs open in your web browser - i.e. Hosta Forum with your message in one tab, Photobucket and your picture in a second tab. Click on photo you just uploaded - photo will get larger and 4 sets of code will appear - for GardenWeb you need the HTML code. Click on either HTML code or the actual line of code to its right -- you should have briefly seen "copied" appear. You can now switch to your message tab - move to the spot where you want photo to appear and paste the HTML code into your message.

Step 4 - Preview Message with Photo - If you see the photo when you preview your message - so will we when you submit the message. If you don't see you picture and instead see code - I'm guessing you didnâÂÂt copy the HTML code or deleted a character or more in the code -- review step 3 and correct.

If you want to add another photo - repeat step 3

Step 5 - Click Submit- You're done.

After you have added photos a few times to your messages - you will see what I meant by how easy it is.

Like any skill you learn - if you don't use it often, you forget. So post a photo once a week or month for awhile. If you're in a Southern Climate it is very important to begin posting as soon as your gardens emerge since us Northern States are still shivering and looking for our hosta fix early in the season. We will return the favor later in the season.

Paul

-----------------------------

Side Note - One way I make finding pictures easier to download is to first export them(copy) from my photo managing program(like Picasa) to the Desktop. Easier for me to find on Desktop - and remove copy once I am through with download.

Comments (34)

• Gesila
    12 years ago

Nice job Paul.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    12 years ago

thanks Paul

I'm able to post only ONE photo using photobucket. The only way I can post more than one photo is to repost using a different title. I don't know why; maybe not doing step 3 right?

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

John,

Paste the photo into your message as in step 3. Then hit return and go back to Photobucket, copy another photo's html code and then paste that one into the same message. You can post as many photos into one message as you like. You can also label or caption the photos by adding text in your message after hitting the return button.

Steve

• flowerchild59
    12 years ago

Thanks for the tutorial.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    12 years ago

Thanks Steve,

I thought I had tried this. I'll try again via the Test Forum.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    12 years ago

Well still can't post more than one photo. I think the problem is that when I hit the back button (small arrow in blue circle in top left) it takes me back to the main Garden Forum index and not Photobucket. Steve you mentioned hit the "return" . I assume it's the same as back arrow?

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

No, you should have two tabs open. You do not need the "back" button at all. The Hosta forum with your message should be in one tab and photobucket should be open in another tab. You copy your photo html, paste it in the message box and then hit return while still in the message box. Go back to the photobucket tab and copy a different picture's html. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Steve

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    12 years ago

Thanks for your patience Steve!! I finally figured out what was wrong. I didn't know about the TAB thingy at the top of the screen. I hope I can remember that when I get around to posting photos.
    BTW I've got 32 hostas coming via UPO in a couple of hours that have to be planted today as i'm leaving tomorrow AM for the weekend. These are going in an area that I've been preparing since last winter. I've cut down 6 red maples, 1 white ash, and 2 red spruce in preparation and have been grubbing out roots ever since.

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

John,
    I'm glad you got it. Now practice so that you won't forget. Show us some pics of the work you are doing.

Ken will be happy to know that 6 more maples have met the chain saw. Good work. You know that you can also build up on that soil, rather than digging down. Just sayin'.

Steve

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

anyone still putting stuff over in the FAQ .... this would be great over there ..

ken

• kisher
    12 years ago

Excellent post Paul.

But now for an intermediate/advanced class question:

How do you reduce the size of the picture if it takes up the whole screen? Do you have to modify the HTML in some way?

Ron

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ron, you don't need to make the pic smaller - personally I like the larger pics and leave them to the default set by Photobucket. However, you have an option in Photobucket to change displayed size when you import - look at step 2 above, at bottom of pic it shows "Customize your upload options ", select - then next option will be to "Resize my photos to this size: " - pick a size. The smaller the number the smaller the displayed pic.

If you want to resize pics already in a Photobucket album - click on a pic so a single pic is displayed, then hover mouse over pic until controls display - click on "Resize " and select your size.

A second thought - if pics seem to big for your monitor - you can resize what is displayed using CTRL+ and CTRL-. Try it while you're reading this to see effects.

Hope these thoughts are helpful.

Paul

• kimcoco
    12 years ago

Paul, how do I add a link to another webpage with my post on gardenweb?

Just kidding. :)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

bumping this up.. to entice others to join the fun

perhaps Paul will review it.. and see if it needs an update ...

i link this everywhere.. as the ABSOLUTE GO TO for pix posting..

great work, paul

ken

• bkay2000
    12 years ago

I missed it the first time. Great post.

bkay

• User
    12 years ago

I'm having trouble changing my zone designation in the GW forums.

It is changed in the Profile, to z A9A AL but it is not showing up in my post ID's. Do I have it wrong by showing it as A9A? let me check to see if it does have to be z9A AL.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've found ease of changing info on GW is intermittent - sometimes it works and sometimes have to come back at a later date (months) to fix. No idea why. Made changes to some pics in profile and it lost them all and wouldn't let me re-add. An aside - would love if they would let you edit a post. But at least they let us post pics in this forum.

Paul

• franknjim
    11 years ago

bumpy

• Johnsp
    11 years ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Scott

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

Moccisin- I had the same problem. Even tho you change it in your profile and save it, it doesn't always do that. Make another new post and change it there...then it will remember it. I think the program might just be looking at what was there the last time you posted. Who knows. Try it and see???

-Babka

• User
    11 years ago

Babka, it fixed itself while I was not looking. Always good to have this thread refreshed because I sometimes forget things. Like, I've been taking so many pictures of hosta development each week, sometimes each day, that TAGS or KEYWORDS or TITLES are something helpful.

In Windows 7, I discovered I could add tags and titles and descriptions to the file itself, and when I uploaded to Flickr they appeared in the right spot. I don't have the time to rename individual pictures, I put in the tags for the names, and that lets me do a search of my photos on the computer.

Of course, I have Corel Paint Shop Pro X4, and that software lets me do the same thing. It was on the fritz last week, so I was using Irfanview, a free graphics editing program. It also easily let me BATCH RENAME which served to separate all the hosta photos from the wild birds and the rest of the garden. Something like 300+ hosta pictures for the month of March 2012.

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Perhaps this should be permanently on page one!!! (Old brain cells here!)
    Jan

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

i spent a lot of time trying to post pictures from Flickr and trust me it cannot be done.

...and now it is easy.

Jon

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

Jon- Don't you know that it is a sin to post a photo of a magnificent hosta and NOT NAME IT?????????? What is the name of that big, blue bumpy beaauty?

-Babka

• muktowngal
    11 years ago

Is there a reason you all use photo bucket? If I am using Picsa on my computer it is so simple to upload to Picasa on the web. Then click on links to this picture and then copy and pat the link for embedded image. To post more than one photo in a post.. I followed the directions above ..hit enter and then copied the embedded image link for the second photo.

These are great directions for posting photos. Thanks Paul!!

• franknjim
    11 years ago

Bump with Queen of the Seas
    {{gwi:993843}}

• adayania
    11 years ago

Thank you for this!

• franknjim
    11 years ago

Bump with Band of Gold leaf
    {{gwi:993844}}

• chris-e
    11 years ago

Bump for newbies.

• franknjim
    11 years ago

It's a Cherry Berry bump kind of day.
    {{gwi:993845}}

• User
    11 years ago

bump it up. about to go off the first page.

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Now, someone needs to add Flickr instructions to this, also. I defin prefer it over PhotoBucket.