Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crying over Spilt Milk

Posted by franknjim 5 Peoria IL (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 13:50

I bought it when it was just poking up. I picked the one that had the most eyes.

Why is it when you buy a hosta like this you end up with five good sized eyes that have no milk plus one small & one tiny eye that do have it? The plain blue plants look nice, are strong growers and have great roots but I don't want a NOID. One of my neighbors will be getting another new hosta this year.

My Savannah Supreme came up with every eye but one being streaked. Ten streaked eyes and one solid yellow. You win some and you lose some.

Maybe it could be named Lactose Free Milk? Soy Milk?
Spilt Milk

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crying over Spilt Milk

I can't believe the difference in the size of those shoots. The solid green was taking over that clump.

Think of it this way, Frank, you rescued it!

Gesila

o

Mine has been gone for years.... it was going the way of yours, I kept ripping off the solid eyes and leaving one or two puny streaky ones, and one spring there was nothing.

No great loss IMHO - I always thought it was butt ugly

Alexa

o

• Posted by babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Thu, May 3, 12 at 15:09

I had 4 good milky years with that plant, then this Spring it came back solid and mostly rotted with one eye "puny streaky" (thanks for the accurate description, Alexa). I put it in a 2" pot. It is smaller than a tc plug right now.

-Babka

o

I like mine a lot. I've only had it for a year and a half, but I think it looks great in the rain.
Spilt Milk

Steve

o

I got my Spilled Milk from Hallson's last year, and also this year the still unfurled leaves are spilling milk.

o

Soy Milk, I like that name....seems descriptive.

Sorry about your loss.

It will be a great gain for that neighbor, though.

bkay

o

I think mine is showing more milk than last year, at least initially.

Photobucket

o

Spoiled milk...because it's turning green...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here