Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ademink_gw

One of my seedlings is shaping up nicely

ademink
10 years ago

Records...records...lol. I think its mama was Jewel of the Nile but I'm not positive. Ever since it was a little tiny baby it has had gold cupped leaves and now it is starting to look like a gold version of Abiqua Drinking Gourd!

This post was edited by ademink on Tue, May 28, 13 at 21:48

Comments (20)

• esox48
    10 years ago

Great one! And it's the only one exactly like that in the world. That's the fun of hybridizing.

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

oooooh, a big cupped yellow....me likey.

Paul

• ademink
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I meant the gold version of ADG...brain isn't working today. LOL (oh cool...just discovered the "edit" feature....)

This post was edited by ademink on Tue, May 28, 13 at 14:05

• netcub
    10 years ago

Very Nice! Good Qualities... Color, Corrugation, Cupping and That Vase Shape! ( is there a "C" word for Vase Shape?) Looks Like a Beauty!

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago

Beautiful! How long has it been growing for you?

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Nice plant Andrea! Nice to see you posting again. Phil

• ademink
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Phil :) Nice to see you!! It has been growing for...um...I think 5 years now - maybe 6!

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Yep, that's a keeper. A lot to like, color, form ..

Beverly

• Gesila
    10 years ago

I really, really like it! Like Paul said, a cupped yellow one.

How much sun is it getting?

Gesila

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

I like this a lot. I'm not familiar with Queen of the Nile. Do you have a picture?

Steve

• ademink
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gesila - It gets a ton of sun - western and southern! It's a tough ol' bird...NO burn!

Steve....Ohh...not Queen of the Nile...lol JEWEL of the Nile. Sheesh...I have Spring Amnesia!

Better hit that "edit" button again...

This post was edited by ademink on Tue, May 28, 13 at 21:48

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

Pretty lady!

• timhensley
    10 years ago

Beautiful plant.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

You got it all in that plant! That could replace some of my yellows.

• ademink
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I remember admiring it as a seedling but thinking that I was just lucky it had cupped leaves when young. I forgot about it until this year and WOW...can't ignore it! It's getting big, strong, THICK and staying gold - weathering full sun.

She's a winner!

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

Wow! I'm not a big fan of cupped leaves but I love that one!

Sandy

• User
    10 years ago

Now there is a gold worth its weight!

Hope to see it one of these days. It would be great to have one growing in my Back40......or even the new bed I'm contemplating near the street. That one would knock the socks off of every passer-by.

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

That is a beautiful plant ...

• ademink
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. Who knows...maybe I can register it and sell it some day! I feel tired even thinking about figuring that process out...lol

• ademink
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So...good grief. LOL Stop the patent presses....I just realized this is NOT one of my seedlings. That would be far too lucky - HAHA! This is 'Super Bowl'!

I just did a search for Super Bowl hosta trying to figure out what my boring green hosta w/ that tag was supposed to look like.

Lo and behold..I found MY old post boasting on SB hosta...showing a pic of "my seedling" I posted this year. ROFL!

Labeling. Good grief. I'm a mess. LOL