Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sport?

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 14:04

Sorry I don't have a picture. I was just out looking at my hostas and noticed that one is growing a leaf instead of sending up a nose as usual. The leaf is coming up in the middle of a clump of noses. It is a very nice shade of green but not like the parent, Regal Splendor. Is this a sport? If it is should I separate it from the parent plant to keep the rest from changing color to? Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sport?

some non-hosta words there.. but that wont stop me.. lol

it would be INSANE.. to dig up a RS.. to remove something from the middle ...

odds are.. it will not be there next year ... so it isnt worth it ...

if it disturbs you.. grab the leaf with one hand.. with the other.. trace the petiole down near the bottom.. and yank that sucker out of there ...

offhand.. i cant remember what RS came from [nigrescens???] .. but i would presume that you are not the first to find the all green .. so again.. its not something worth digging up a large clump ... to 'capture' the greenie ...

if it were me.. i would leave it.. enjoy the oddity .. point it out to friends.. discuss its weirdness.. and the fact that technically hosta are not stable... and leave it at that ...

and if it came back next year.. then i would think about doing something about it.. and probably again.. do nothing.. lol ..

now.. on the other hand.. if you simply want to massacre a large plant .. simply for the experiment.. GO FOR IT .. been there.. done that.. and it reverted to RS .. lol ...

and while you are at it.. throw a piece of it on the driveway.. and see how long it will live .. lol

ken

o
RE: Sport?

It came from Krossa Regal. Phil

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here