Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harryshoe

My Noid Is Becoming A Favorite

I posted a picture of my noid a few years back. Some thought it might be Northern Halo. It has changed as it matured. I am liking it more and more.

What do you think this is?

Comments (11)

• donrawson
    9 years ago

Yes, looks like Northern Halo or American Halo.

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Earth Angel

Paul

• User
    9 years ago

Pau,your Earth Ange doesn't have the corrugation that American Halo shows in the Hosta Library. American Halo has lots of it.

Not sure if I see the corrugation in Harry's plant to a great extent, but the margin color matches American Halo more than Earth Angel's margin color. That could be the cameras though.

I haven't compared it to Northern Halo, which may be a better match for the corrugation pattern. Just saying, my observation, not experienced with the plants except from photos.

Thank heaven for the Comparison thingy for HLibrary photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Compare HLibrary photos

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Lancifolia?

Don B.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have Earth Angel. There seems to be a difference in the texture of the leafs. Also, Earth Angel opens with less contrast in the leaf colors. The margin of the noid is more yellow. Maybe I'll try some leaf close ups.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Seeing the Northern Halo owned by my neighbor down the street, his looks really similar to your NOID, Harry. Just my guess/observation.

Don B.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Earth Angel opened later than the noid. But, it does get more sun. The edge of EA will get more yellow in time.

Here are the leafs:

Noid

Earth Angel

Opinions?

Thanks

Harry

• donrawson
    9 years ago

American Halo is Van Wade's "form" of Northern Halo. Years ago, Van collected several different forms (Wade Form, Ward Form, etc.). Eventually, Van renamed his form and registered it as American Halo.

Most of the forms of Northern Halo are nice plants and barely indistinguishable from each other....and even nearly identical to Northern Exposure. On Van's form (called American Halo), the margin is slightly wider than the other forms.

The very worse form of Northern Halo has a very narrow margin that drawstrings badly...and this form is identical to hosta Crème de Menthe according to my observations. You can't tell them apart if grown side-by-side.

• User
    9 years ago

Harry, I got the pictures in the email for this thread. I hope you don't mind that I keep them? Two very different looking leafs. Were the two photos taken by the same camera? That is a factor in color rendering, believe me I have 2 which report totally different colors , one cold, one warm.

Okay, DonR, thank you for the rest of the story. I have an American Halo.....Good Lord, I do have a horse in this race and I totally forgot it. Mine came from Naylor Creek last year, says it is by Van Wade. Well, I apologize, after I take my foot out of my mouth. Here is the latest photo I can find.

American Halo. in April 2013 taken with the cool camera

April 10, 2013 taken with the warm camera

and then this year May 6, 2014 WARM camera

May 13, 2014 COOL camera

Hope this helps, even though my plant is not on a par with yours. NOTE: It is blooming in May. I think white blooms, no touch of lavender to my eye.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Try Northern Exposure. It,also looks like American Halo. Phil

Original Author
    9 years ago

Moc,
    Please keep the photos. They were both taken yesterday (Fri.) with my Nikon 5100. Its color rendering is pretty accurate.

This is a picture of my Earth Angel from last summer: