Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmaki

Empress Wu and her website

Teresa_MN
9 years ago

This might be a silly question. Pardon me as I have not been as in touch with the hosta world as I was a few years ago.

I gave my niece an Empress Wu and went to send her some info on it. When I Googled it I discovered the Empress has her own website.

Is this something new to the hosta world? Perhaps a marketing technique?

This post was edited by teresa_mn on Wed, May 14, 14 at 14:24

Comments (19)

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Where is my link? :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: The Empress Wu

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

That is a first time I've ever seen anything like that! A wonderful marketing tool. You don't even have to go hunting to see where it is available. I guess plant patents aren't cheap and perhaps this one will give a better return on investment than others. It IS a very special hosta, but over the years a few people have posted photos of larger individual leaves...one I recall was 22" which made my eyes bug out.

-Babka

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Well, this is pretty cool, I must say.

Gotta call the Spelling Police, though. 'Zanadu'??

Sigh...

Don B.

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had not noticed the misspelling Don.

I think the spelling police are too busy keeping after the people who get your/you're, there/their/ they're mixed up. ;)

• Ludicious Acres
    9 years ago

Royalty deserves nothing but the best propaganda.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Your right, their always mixing that stuff up. : P

Oops, gonna turn myself in! Seriously, it's nice to see this kind of a website, glad you found it.

Don B.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Josephime, thats a gude point you're about people who get they're spellin'g and gramar rong.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Actually,I found that website a couple years ago,when I was looking to buy an Empress Wu. My Empress Wu was severely damaged,as well as Dino,by the freeze this year,so I won't be posting any pic of them. Phil

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a pic of my EW last weekend. This is the 4th year and I think it is the leap year for her.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Teresa, It is a good thing you have a tall fence to keep that puppy home. She is going be huge this year. Myrle gave me first one and when shopping locally I found another marked $8 ( 4 pips) . I couldn't pass up on that buy ! I do have large planting areas and still have plenty of lawn . Looking forward to pictures when she opens

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have a 5' fence. It keeps out the deer, coyote and neighborhood dogs. It does not keep the neighborhood cats from using my garden as a litter box however.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Theresa. I wear garden gloves as one never knows! I have cats again but the mice, mole and vole population is going down considerable. Trouble is they often decide to bring them in the kitty door( sometimes not dead) That is when our weiner dogs take over. Also good hunters

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

Somebody needs to get a NEW picture of that original Princess Wu ! I mean the cost of taking digital pictures has finally come down a bit the last year or two ! hahahahah

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Has anyone had one long enough to grow to that size...OBTW, she is an EMPRESS, not merely a princess. ;-)

-Babka

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I think Bernd's could be approaching that size in a season or two...Last I saw, his (grandson's) was huge.

Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

If growing the Empress doesn't turn him (Bernd's grandson) into a lifelong hosta gardener, nothing can. I can betcha he will become a hybridizer too, just like his gran'pa.

I agree about the new picture. Although that original one with the man beside it is like a trademark now, a LOGO perhaps.

My EWu had one eye last year, and one this year. It is in the ground, bought specifically to plant it out in my experimental bed. Let's hope it increases the eye count.

I might have to move some blooming hosta beside her so I can have some really huge different Wu babies....if only S&S, planted beside her, was blooming now too.

• xena45
    9 years ago

Here's mine. This is the beginning of year 3. It was a long, hard winter, and everything in my yard is a month behind. I heard on the radio today that the temperature is forecast to be 33 degrees tomorrow night. EeK!

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Second year on the throne...bow down to her Majesty, the Empress Wu.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

That pic may have a lot of mileage on it, and I wish I had a dollar every time I've seen it, but that's not just any man, that's Brian Skaggs, and he and his wife Virginia originated and introduced the lovely 'Empress Wu'. I'm sad to note Mr. Skaggs passed away about 2 1/2 years ago from brain cancer.

So, that's 'Empress Wu's' Daddy in that pic, and that's probably the original clump, and that's pretty cool, eh?

Cheers,
    Don B.