Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Alphabet Coming

Here is a reminder the keep a camera handy. The day after Christmas Dec 26, 2013 is the start of the alphabet. I see lots of new people and some returning like awakening hostas do. Hope to see many new hostas getting mentioned this year. Paula

Blue Ivory actually one off of my wish list.

Comments (7)

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Have to plant something beginning with 'Q' - bummer when you get to a letter I don't have! (and 'Z')
    Jan

• Gesila
    10 years ago

It was the alphabet game that got me hooked. I remember searching GW to find previous years!

Here's a Z for you Jan, Zodiac:

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Paula, you picked out a beautiful Blue Ivory. I see now why it was on "your list." And now you will know why it is on "my list!" Hope I can find a nice one that I can add to the Alphabet!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

LOL I like the Hosta Alphabet, But I don't even want to THINK about that right now; We just saw snow and Christmas temps last week!! If it snows here one more time this season, I'm jumping in front of a garbage truck! I'll have lots o' pics though. When it's time. :)

Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

Jan, try a Zounds also. ......I thought it was a small gold. Well, it is a Large, and it is very gold, and this year it is doing very well thank you.

AND about the Q.
    Of course, Queen Josephine.
    Queen of the Seas
    Quilting Bee.....which really is a small.

And I forget how to spell Quesadilla......which is a fragrant and another tasty dish as well. When I'm hungry I choose more of the tasty dishes, if you know what I mean.

How are you fixed for Ys?
    I have Yesterday's Memories, and it is a big open loose gold.
    Yellow Splash Rim is another..dark green with a yellow margin.
    I have Yin but failed to get Yang. Yankee Blue is a cutie too. Then there is yingeri.

And the U is hard to fill as well.
    Unforgettable is a great one
    Ultramarine blue as can be with a white back
    After that it is Undulatas this and that, so let's look for new U's.

Not too many V's either. But
    Van Wade Blue is a nice one
    Verna Jean is an under-appreciated hosta, lovely and small.
    And of course Victory and Volcano Island now. And Venus and venusta.

How are you fixed for X's?
    I only have two, Xanadu and X-ray which is small and was critical for a time but now seems to be fine.

I'm sure a quick scan of the Hosta Finder will give you some ideas and some sources for acquiring them too.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Heh heh heh, funny threads from May. EVERYBODY loves The Hosta Alphabet!!

• User
    10 years ago

Yes indeed, Don. We all love the alphabet.

What I'm hoping is that more folks who are in a position to name things will choose the lesser-used letters, and give the SSSs's a break. Perhaps a certain group of hosta fanciers I know whould try a maverick letter.

Jim Hartmann has a Xela hosta. Would love to get one of those.