Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
delawaredonna

There's something about Spartacus

DelawareDonna
9 years ago

My first year Spartacus has skimpy leaves and no signs of new growth, plus, its already sending up scapes. What gives? Any thoughts?

DD

Comments (14)

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

Mine is in it's 2nd year and is also sending up a scape right now. I haven't taken a picture of it because it got a little frost damage earlier this year and doesn't look as good as it should. It has grown from last year and I have high hopes for it next year.

Linda

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

what????

it leafed out.. its done growing .. until the second flush in mid to late summer ...

what more do you want .. it to grow like an annual ...??? .. it wont ...

you have very high expectations ... chill.. its gorgeous ...

here: spring flush.. flowers.. summer flush ... root growth and food storage for next spring.. fall decline ...

you may not add anything to that equation... this isnt 'mother may i' ... [boy i tried explaining that game to the kids.. and i may as well have been speaking in tongues]

ken

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I think your Spartacus looks really good! What do you mean "skimpy" leaves? Hostas take years to get mature size leaves and characteristics. I agree with Ken here. What you see in Spring is what you get with hostas. That is one reason why people cry when hail or critters destroy leaves early on. Many get a second flush of leaves after they bloom, but not all of them, and those leaves are usually much smaller. Patience is required, but well rewarded with hostas. ;-)

-Babka

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Whoa - Chilling out here with my head between my knees! Lesson learned.

DD

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

sorry..

it reads a lot less humorous than it did 3 hours ago ...

all for a lame mother may i joke ...

3 to 5 to 7 years for it to mature .... and we will want pix ...

ken ...

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

I think Hosta gardening is the only time you wish TIME could go FASTER ! hahahah.. So rarely do we want the ageing process to speed up..

I know I am guilty of it !

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Anytime I've ever visited the dentist's office, I've wished time could go faster...Department of Motor Vehicles, too...

Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

Donna, I was looking hard to see something "skimpy" about your Spartacus. I just got mine about a month ago, and I love what it looks like, it is a beauty. (Thank you Don for bending my arm..)

Your hosta is lovely. If that is also a first year plant, I must give MY Spartacus a talking to.

• tepelus
    9 years ago

I bought Spartacus number three a few days ago. A little guy growing in a quart sized pot for just under $4, and it has a flower scape on it too. Must be an extra early bloomer. This one will go in the ground once I make a place for it. I hope it lives, the other two were in pots and rotted, so this time it'll go into the ground what I call my mom's magic soil. I can grow just about anything in her soil, if only the moles would go away.

Karen

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Glad you posted this. I bought one last year and lost the tag when raking this spring. I found it! It only has three pips this year from one so is puny too but patience is required I guess

• Gesila
    9 years ago

I lost my Spartacus over the winter. Here's my replacement I got a couple of weeks ago. Almost looks better than the one I lost.

Gesila

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

That's really not a bad-looking Spartacus, Donna. Just a young plant. It's bigger than mine was when I got it two seasons ago, and mine is roaring now. It's not an oldie, but it's a goodie.

Don B.

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yup! He's gonna be handsome when he grows up.

Gesila, boy did you luck out. Your new Spartacus is a beaut!

DD

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Yeah, Gesila has the hookup for monster-sized hostas. Yes, I am jealous.

Don B.