It's bright yellow in color. Thanks!

Comments (14)

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Fire Island?

Paul

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

arf, your photo is sideways. It must have been taken with a tablet. When you take a photo, put the button on the right side and it will look upright to everyone.

Sorry, I don't know your hosta. A leaf close-up (where you can count the veins), a picture of the flower, a photo of the backside of the leaf, a photo of the whole plant with some known object to size the object and when it flowered really helps identify one when it's difficult

bk

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

I don't think it is Fire island. Are the petioles red? Here is my FI and it definitely has red petioles. Plus, it looks a little big for FI to me.

• Ludicious Acres
    9 years ago

Fire Island emerges bright-as-sun yellow first thing in spring . . . in Lavendar's pic.

But it fades to that bright lime green by the end of the season if not given enough light . . . and judging by the shadow cast in the original poster's pic, this could very well be the case.

You can also see how the leaves seem to be suspended, the red pets are blending into the shade cast by the canopy, but I'm pretty sure they are red.

Given time, Fire Island can turn into quite a nice sized mound.

I have to agree with Paul, I'm thinking Fire Island, but you never know for sure unless you find the tag or call the original vendor.

Either way, it's a gorgeous plant.

Enjoy !
    Ludi

• ctopher_mi
    9 years ago

It could be Hosta 'Sea Fire'.

• User
    9 years ago

BK, if you left click on the image it will open a new window and the picture will be right side up. I think Phil was the one explained that about Apples (and oranges). It works.

I have a lot of golds/yellows and I do not have either Sea Fire or Fire Island. Both those have "fire" in the name, the leaves do look like a flame in shape, and it has a lot of motion to the clump. It has a lot of dimples/corrugations on your plant, so I'd go along with the Fire Island as most likely candidate.

I have a couple of hosta that took years to put a name to. Don't despair if you must wait for it to bloom to eliminate one or the other, or maybe both suggestions and start over again. This month I identified (with help from this forum) a hosta purchased in May 2010. What a great feeling it was too!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

unless OP is a collector.. and spent money on this in recent years...

i think you peeps might be thinking in the wrong generation of hosta ..

first off.. there is no scale.. so we have to guess leaf size ...

and second.. though the OP says its yellow... i would not call it yellow ... simply.. that the words might be a red herring ...

it looks so familiar... and old fashioned... that is seems on the tip of my tongue.. but being that my hosta re only 6 inches tall and barely unfurled.. i am stymied right now ...

one trick for better pic color.. is to take pics in the evening... if you look close.. half the leaves are washed out ... and that might be why i dont think its yellow .. rather than a muted lime ...

how long have you had it ... are we talking years.. or decades ????

finally ... its shape looks like gold standard ... whats the all yellow form.. richland gold ... does it really go gold later in the season ??? ... see link and look for the name??? .. maybe its a gold standard gone bad.. lol ... bet bruce would recognize it if so ... or tell me i am wrong ...

total WAG ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• srf99
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I purchased it 3 years ago. I'm not a collector! Just a rookie and I'm wanting to order more of these because I love their bright yellow color. Here's another pic of the underside.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

wow.. see the difference in pic color.. without that wash out...

if you hang out around here.. you will become a collector ... lol

you have at least 10 to 15 plants in there.. why in the world would you order more.. divide the thing???

that might be the only way to insure you get the exact same plant ... there are so many look alikes ... its hard to ID many....

but in my frame of mind.. why you would want more than one of any particular one.... is beyond me... are you sure we cant enable you????

here i will try ... why not look at marylin monroe ... shes a little more stunning than yours ... but probably not yellow enough .... see link..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• srf99
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL Thanks! How would I go about dividing it? I live in GA. What time of year do I do this? I have a hill that I want to cover in these vibrant hostas. I love them!

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Okay, so you've got red petioles. Was the color MUCH brighter yellow when the hosta first emerged (more like the photo I posted earlier in this thread)? I think you may have Fire Island. Sea Fire, I believe, has more veins in the leaves than your plant.

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

If you're fond of the yellow ones, there are some real beauties out there - and much bigger ones, too. Look up Sea Gulf Stream, Dancing Queen, Choo Choo Train, Squash Casserole, Sum and Substance. Those are bigger than the one you've got if you really want a huge impact. Plus, planting different ones (like so blue ones and some variegated ones) with the yellow ones will really make the yellows pop. The longer you hang around this forum, the more likely you are to be hooked, LOL.

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Fire Island from a tour garden in late June. I think most have pics of FI when it emerges and it is bright yellow......not when it greens up to chartreuse colors which happens before summer.

Paul

• User
    9 years ago

Yes indeed, that fire island looks a lot like the first picture, the hosta in question.

And, it is super easy to divide the hosta. Of course, mine are not in the ground but in pots. I have not had to cut a crown on any of the ones I repotted, what happened when I shook off the potting mix and teased the roots which were circling the pot, a few eyes just came away from the main clump. So far, I have never cut into a crown.

Today I received a Fire Island as my gift plant for ordering! How did he know I did not have one? Really a sweet hosta, golds are high on my favorites list.

Stick around with us, we'll have you planting that hillside with many great varieties of hosta. I need to ask you too, have you seen Georgia Sweetheart? It is very attractive, and willing to grow in the south. I got mine last year, so it is still an immature hosta.

and last year, it got a creamy white middle in the heat of our summer (zone 9a Mobile). Substance is same as Fire Island, and the pecans and sweetgum balls tear the leaves as you can see.