Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The will to live

Posted by sally_grower (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 12 at 14:52

2 years ago, in November, we had a sun room added to our home. Unfortunetley it went over the top of a large hosta bed with about 50 hostas. It was too cold to try to save them, so......sob sob......a very heavy layer of black plactic was laid down and then 8 inches of rock dumped on top of them!! The room is about 6 feet off of the ground and it is enclosed with latice and is used for storage of lawn furniture.

Fast forward to Spring. I go under the room and there to my astonishment are several big hosta eyes coming through the rocks. I tried the pull back the rock and dig them out but they were just too far down. So last year, they were very large, this year coming back lots smaller and next year, I'm sure they won't even try.

Isn't it amazing the will for them to live!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The will to live

You've just admitted to hosta genocide...we will not have to shun you. I'm sorry. :)

Paul

o
RE: The will to live - oops

Would have been cleverer if I had spelled now correctly - :)

You'll have to ask Ken if this tops his driveway.

Paul

o

uh?----Uh?----Uh?---:
Oh, now I get it! We'll "NOW have to shun" her.

Seriously Paul, it is amazing how the submit button can be such an enemy! That being said, I now add "just teasing" B4 I "submit".

The only force stronger than a hostas will to live is the latent power of a silver maple root!

Les

o

Sally, that's the saddest story I've heard all day. Maybe all week.

Perhaps that area can be used as a Hostacaust Museum with a big hypertufa hosta leaf standing proud in the midst of the rocks.

o

I would have delayed the sun room until spring, when all involved hosta could be relocated. No wonder my family thinks I am nuts. I do like moccasinlanding's idea for the Museum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here