Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ordered a couple of hostas

Posted by kentstar 5b, NE Ohio (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 14 at 14:57

I ordered just a few to replace some I lost to winter. Olive Bailey Langdon, Neptune, and Lakeside Shoremaster. I've never grown Neptune but it looks interesting and nice! I got them at NH Hostas of which I've heard great reviews about.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ordered a couple of hostas

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Tue, May 13, 14 at 15:30

Neptune caught my eye this year too. This one arrived dormant 4 weeks ago. Look at him now! Yeowee. It will be interesting to see how that soft color evolves.

-Babka

photo IMG_4036_zps947d1e97.jpg

o

I just love the look of those rippled edges! So different! I have my pot ready to go too. Just waiting with baited breath. :)

o

I have all three of those. You will be very pleased. Good choices.
Here is my Neptune. Purchased 2012, my first foray into mail order, from Naylor Creek. Love the waviness and the white backed leaves.

o

This has been on my mental want list for some time.

Karen

o

Rippled edges, pointy tip on the leaf, a nice fountain effect of the arched petioles, and then the white backs show in the dim light.

I took two pictures recently of Neptune, one with flash and one without right afterward. I liked the one without better, because it revealed the flip side of the edge. It is a beautiful hosta.

Babka, your color is different than mine was when it came last year. But then, I did not see it fresh unfurled. This year, it was a soft blue gray, with the gray white back, but nothing so muted as your soft gray leaf. Your sunlight must be different than mine. What kind of humidity do you normally have? Very low, I bet.
No flash on 5/2/14
DSCN0091

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Wed, May 14, 14 at 18:44

I am sure the color will change. The leaves have just unfurled and are very thin. Regarding the light.... I live at 37 degrees N. latitude, but rarely a cloud in the sky, so most of my plants are under 50% white shade cloth in the atrium. Low humidity during the day, high at night. My blue's generally will stay blue all year as long as I keep the from any direct sun.

-Babka

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here