Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bettylu_zone6a

Gold Drop edger hosta - has thin leaves

bettylu_zone6a
12 years ago

I am currently using h. Gold Drop as an edging, and while I LOVE its quick growing clumps, it seems like it has much thinner leaves than all my other hosta. Slugs like it more and sunburn can be a problem. On the plus side, it seems to continue to send out new leaves throughout the growing season to help cover up/replace damaged ones - so that once we get past the heat of the summer, it freshens up somewhat.

I am assuming that thin leaves are genetic and that there is nothing I can do to help (yes/no?).

Is there another gold edger you would recommend to use instead? Or, am I being too picky?

The larger green and green/white hosta in the picture are no ID's from a friend's garden.

{{gwi:995738}}

Comments (8)

• bkay2000
    12 years ago

Bettylu, I don't have one, but the green one with the white stripe looks like undulata mediovariagata (sp?). The twist on the end of the leaf is what differentiates it from Night Before Christmas. My neighbor has NBC and the end doesn't twist. It's pretty. Does it stay pretty during the whole season?

I don't know about the gold edger.

bkay

• bettylu_zone6a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The green/white hosta stays nice throught the season where it doesn't get too much sun. Some of the photo/descriptions for Hosta undulata 'Medio-variegata' have a lot more lighter green variagation, so I am going to have to research a bit to ID. It is currently planted in two places in my yard and where it gets dappled shade (next to the stairs/walkway where it completely fills a small retaining wall planter). This variety is a "rhizomatous" type hosta (not a single clump), which works out well for filling the planter, almost like a ground cover... I am going to check out the rhizomatous hostas on the hosta list and see if I can find a match.

Besides making a good, low-growing edge type hosta, Gold Drop also looks really cute in a pot and it survived the winter in great shape (I followed the excellent instructions provided here on this forum).

BettyLu

• bkay2000
    12 years ago

Thanks Bettylu, I need a hosta for a planter. I like the looks of that one. If you figure out it's not Undulata, let me know. Ken says Undulata will grow on the driveway. I love NBC, but my neighbor has had some difficulty with it. This one looks very similar. I am not doing very well with Wide Brim in my planter box.

bkay

• thisismelissa
    12 years ago

Why not use Gold Edger? I saw that used as an edger last year and it was fantastic!

• bettylu_zone6a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think the green/white varigated one is Undulata Univittata - though I have to check and see if the underside of the leaf is glossy like the Hosta Library says. I expect that this is a pretty old variety, at least 15 years old....which would fit.

The description for Gold Edger does say that it has heavy texture, which I would like and the rest of the description sounds like an improvement over what I have too. Looks like a winner - Thanks!

BettyLu

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

How about one of the Tiara's as an edger. Grand Tiara looks nice. BTW, the green hosta looks like Royal Standard. I would have said Night Before Christmas for the white variegated one, but I'll defer to others.

Steve

• bettylu_zone6a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bkay, the green/white varigated one is definitely Undulata Univittata - the underside of the leaves are glossy (I never looked!) and the pictures in the hosta library match. It is definitely not Night Before Christmas, the growth habit and leaft size is different.

Steve, Grand Tiara is VERY nice looking, but a little tall for where I want it - I did check out some of the other Tiara/Scepter varieties and there are some good looking choices (Emerald or Golden Scepter) that I might go with that are 12" or less in height, which is what I liked about Gold Drop (Darn! I just wish the leaves had more substance!)

The dark green one could be Royal Standard, but there is no puckering of the leaves yet... I will have to really examine the flowers when it blooms.

Thanks, All!
    BettyLu

• bkay2000
    12 years ago

Hallson's has it, but does not recommend it for southern gardens. So, I guess I have to come up with another option for that planter box.

Thanks,

bkay