Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

Been gone awhile--back with update and plant bag info!!

Janice
10 years ago

After 44 years of starting with a blank canvas (really blank yard), and remodeling as a relationship-building exercise, we've finally gotten everything JUST AS WE LOVE IT--and lo and behold, we're moving!! Sigh! It's really a mixed blessing. I will surely shed some tears that last day we leave this place for good, BUT, the good news is that our daughter and son - in-law (and two GRAND boys who have lived two lots behind us all their married years) have taken on renovating his homestead where he grew up! They are doing what we've done all these years and it's becoming an awesome place out in the farmland areas! They've even put in a 1/4 acre fishing pond! So neat!

They have been begging us to move with them, nearby but I was firm saying I would never leave this place if I could help it! Well, you just never, ever say such a thing in the Lord's hearing! You just never know when He has other plans for us. So, 3 weeks ago, the house RIGHT across the street from them went on the market by the owners (two sons of a lady who is now living with one of them). They had heard by way of the 'grape vine' (can I mention grapes here?) that at least one of us, ahem--not me, might be looking for a place and they called us and gave us first dibs on the place!

I could share so much more but I don't want to bore everyone to death, but I will tell you that I am digging up almost every hosta, heuchera, fern and one Black Sambuca! I do not want someone who does not love these plants as much as we all do, to trash them or neglect them sorely! I've poured my life-blood (we won't mention the monies spent) into making a habitation for them all so they're moving with me.

I don't have as many as you did Ken, when you moved but I have at least 150 hosta, alone! If I get a chance to meet the buyers and see they love these plants like we all do or are interested in finding out what's so great about them, then I will share lots of divisions from my collection with them.

Now, what you should know about me (those who do not know me already) is that I have many, many hosta in pots and barrels. I love how they look at varied heights in my landscape and the soil I have is non-existent in that the top 20 feet was removed and pushed down into other lots to make better building sites (like our daughter and son-inlaw's place behind us, across the street) and we are left with clay and LOTS of rock. I have a fair amount I'm digging but many more that I just have to dis-engage from barrels and pull up in pots in the ground or sitting on top of it!

Okay--the badder news, there are nothing but MAPLES on the 4 acres we're moving to!!! But, again, the good news is that I found a source for those wonderful plant bags! I know I can't advertise here, but email me and I'll let you know who he is--a really nice guy, I sense and I am very happy with doing business with him. I purchased 20 of the 7 gallon bags and 5 ten gallon bags! They will be great to use for those I will replant!!! I've used some from another guy but I couldn't find him this time and found 'Jay' instead!

Thank you Jay for being out there with those bags, just waiting for someone who is dumb enough to move into Maple heaven, like us!!

Glad to see some familiar faces and names (Mylre, Phil and ken--right off) still around here--but there are many more who are missing that I hope will return!

Did I mention our other daughter, son-in-law and two other younger GRAND boys will be only 4 miles from us, too? Naw--I didn't but now you know it's really a GOOD thing we're doing, though there'll be lots of work to be done to enlarge the smaller very well-built house with a basement we're moving to! I'm excited--been engrossed with the drawing board and graph paper for the better part of two weeks! I've got PLANS, inside and OUT!!

Happy hosta-ing ya'll!!

Comments (36)

• Janice
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I forgot to mention I saw you, too, Melissa! Big Smile!!

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Hey Janice! Glad to see you're still alive. We have missed you around here,at least I have. I thought you had given up on hostas. Boy,it must be quite an undertaking to dig up all those plants,but at least you have flat ground to dig in. If I had to move,and take my hostas,I'm afraid I would have to leave most of them,since some are planted high on the hill! Good to see,er hear from you! Let me know where you will be,as we are planning a trip up to Michigan the first week of July. Again,good to see you back on the forum. Phil

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

I am SOOOO glad to see you back Janice.
    I have been wondering about you!

It sounds like a bittersweet decision, but I totally get it.

But WHERE are you moving?

Glad you're back.... can you email me so I have your current email addy?

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Good to see the name Hey_J on a post! There are a lot of new faces here these days, and I've been wondering where some of the old peeps are, considering this is Spring when this forum gets hoppin'. It is good to know that your absence is due to good news.

Just when you thought you could sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labor, you get to do it all over again! Oh dear me. Happy moving. Grandkids make it all worth the effort.

-Babka

• indymom76
    10 years ago

Wow Janice! You have a lot of exciting things going on in your life! It sounds like you have an exciting challenge ahead of you with Maples on your lot! I can't wait to see how you transform your new landscape!

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

Hey Janice-you've been gone so long you might not even know me. I'm Theresa, hostaLes's little sister. LOL
    For personal reasons he doesn't hang here that much anymore so I usually do all he speaking for him.
    But I remember you. Good to have you back. I have always enjoyed your postings. My best wishes.

Theresa

• Janice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry double posted!!

This post was edited by hey_j on Sun, May 5, 13 at 23:28

• Janice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Theresa, I hope Les is not seriously ill or something like that!! I know there can be lots of reasons for many of us not hanging out here lately but I hope it's like it is with me--I'm just too busy anymore! Whoever thinks retirement will give you time to relax obviously hasn't experienced it yet!!

Phil, Melissa, IndyMom, Babka--good to see you're all still here, too!

Happy hosta-ing! I've got to retire to get my hosta-digging sleep in!

P.S. Good to hear from you, Ruth! Let me know how those bags work out for you, Actually, I guess that will take a good while to know, but I hope you're as pleased as I was with what I got. If you have some big ones, go for the 10 gallon size! They're huge! I got the 7 gallon size, too! They should do great for most any hosta but a mini!! Maybe several together would work in those, too!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

life is an adventure.... i and i wish you well in your endeavors ....

but one thing... maybe its the coffee ... you said the house across the street came on the market.. and then later you said.. 4 miles ....

only in the country.. is across the street considered 4 miles away ... lol ...

take care of hubbies back.. dont kill him trying to rescue your plants ...

good luck

ken

ps: you can link to any website.. where you get supplies ... and even brag about it .... as long as YOU ARE NOT THE ONE PROFITING ...

• Janice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

HEY ken!!! :o) The 4 miles distance is from the younger daughter and family! The older one is the one we're moving across from! I know it gets confusing when there's so many of my words to wade through!

Don't worry about Steve's back in this! I'm doing the digging and hauling short distances myself. Once that is all done then there's the two tall and strong son-in-laws that will come in to help with the addt'l loading up and unloading at the newer place! I don't expect to get all the plans in place (in the yard) this year, but I bet I'll try! hehe

I can link to the guy?? Wonderful! I'm not the one profiting fer shur---wish I were!

Here it is!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tex-R® Agroliner Grow Bags

• Janice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, Phil--I didn't mean to ignore you about coming up here in July! Right now, as it looks where we'll be is probably in the middle of a big mess of moving! We take possession the first of July and then we're going at it! We will always have time to meet with you and Diane for dinner or something! Just email me when you know what dates you're coming through and if you don't still have our cell phone numbers I'll send those along in a reply!

Look forward to seeing you both!

10 years ago

phil the freak is coming to MI????

where..

heyJ has been here.. what about you???

ken

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    10 years ago

Hey Janice, nice to hear from you again, we'se bin missin ya gal....

Pieter

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Hey.Ken! We are going up to Mt. Clemens,where my wifes family lives. We've been to Michigan many times over the years,just not over where you live. Lol! My wife was originally from Romeo. Phil

10 years ago

well phil ... werent you whining about visitors last week???

coming out of toledo.. if you take 23 instead of 75 north ... you could be here only an hour out of your way.. plus a few hours in the garden ....

or on the way home ...

i wouldnt hijack anyone but heyJ's post on this.. because she actually did visit once ....

email me direct thru my members page ... should you wish to set something up ...

ken

• Janice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No problem, ken! I think you know me, or maybe remember that I'm not terribly touchy about such things as conversing even down a rabbit trail or two in a thread I've started! Just glad folks are friendly in that way!!

Yep--make the side trip if you can, Phil! Ken is a great host! There's a lovely little B&B not far from him, too! That's where we stayed! I'm sure ken can remember the name of it since it has escaped me at the moment! Sigh!

Is there still the other one in that area, too, Ken--near Schmidt's as I recall?

janice

10 years ago

no janice.. it wasnt near me.. it was near hallsons ... lol .. like 2 miles down the road .... [which was 7 miles down from schmid]

a girl has to have her priorities .... lol

ken

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

You know, it wasn't that long ago I thought to myself, "Hey, where's hey_j". Welcome back, Janice and I'll be praying for a smooth move for you.

tj

• Janice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, yeah, ken--I mean Hallson's has hosta to be had and you have hosta to be SEEN!!! lol I had to make a choice and thankfully I was able to do both of my priorities! hehehe

You've got to stop at Chris' too, Phil!! Ask for some Dreamsicle Ice cream while you're there!

tj--thank you so much for your kind thoughts and prayers!! The elderly lady who has lived in the house all her married life, and raised two sons in it is now living with one of her sons and having a VERY difficult time with all this!

Please pray for her to have peace about it and take comfort in knowing that we will love her home, too and be very happy living in it! Since she was a flower lover all those years I hope she will be able to visit and see that plants and flowers will once again flourish in her yard!

I can well imagine how sad this is making her and that does take away some of my joy in knowing that!! A really neat family we're dealing with!

janice

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

You probably don't remember me, but I remember you, Janice. It sounds as if there are a lot of us who have been thinking of you lately, so perhaps all tat energy focused on you brought you back! Really, so strange, but true.

I always loved seeing your gardens. Now, I will be looking forward to your photos of your new adventure! I think it s just marvelous that you will be so close to your kids. Lucky you.

Welcome back!
    Cynthia

• Janice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Of course I remember you Cynthia!! Thank you for stopping by my thread and making me feel welcome back! It's been awhile!

You won't believe how much is out of the garden beds and up on the deck right now, and still it looks not bad at all in my yard! I plan on going back, after all I want is out and dividing out some of my stuff to put back in where it will look better for whomever may choose to put their own touches to the place! That's such a strange thought for me!!!

Thanks again all of you, and Cynthia!! So good to hear from familiar names/faces!!!

janice/Hey_J

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

Thought Les might have had another blood clot in the bad leg. The calf is almost doubled in size. Scar tissue from previous clotting. Thinking of putting in a stint to open it up, Thanks for the concern Janice.
    I am looking forward to picking up where HE left off. You've been really missed.
    Theresa

• Janice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh dear, Theresa--I am so sorry to hear of Les' problem in his bad leg! I hope they can/will put a stint in to prevent such a thing happening to him again! I can't imagine how painful it must be for his calf to be that swollen!

Again, thank you for making me feel so warmly welcomed back! And I look forward to you continuing to become a permanent fixture on this forum. Give my best to Les and assure him I am praying for him, right now!

Pieter!! I am so glad you're still around on this forum! I love your good humor AND good advice!! I've got a lot of catching up to do! Do you still have your website or blog? I remember loving to look at what you've done with your home and gardens!

Off to dig and plant!!
    janice

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

hey_j, welcome back! Good luck with planting all those hostas under maples! I just dug a hole through maple roots to put a large spinout bag with a hosta 'Guardian Angel' into it. It is hard work, the bags and holes are deep and you can get hurt by your tools. Putting a bag with another hosta into a hole without roots was not quick either.
    Bernd

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

MOVING!!! Amazing and unexpected. We have missed you and your pictures around here. I'm down at Judy's right now. I'll write you or call when I get home. Myrle

• Janice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

HEY Myrle! Yep--can you believe it--moving!!! I can't wait to talk to you! It's been a long time since you, Judy or I have talked/emailed etc.! Please give her a big hug for me and vice versa! I KNOW you'll have to be planted with your hosta cause you'll never be able to haul all yours with you! LOL

We have very good friends who were in your neck of the woods, (just returned last night) and Judy's at a point in their travels and I so wanted to jump in their carry ons and be dropped off to see you both!

Hey Bernd--thank you for the good luck wishes! I have a feeling digging these puppies up even from our rocky ground is a lot easier than planting them under those Maples, as you said!! That's why I'll be doing arrangements with various pot sizes etc. for the most part, at least near the trunks of the trees.

I do have about 3 extra acres to plant them in but alas, the additional ground is field, having pastured horses previously! I'm sure it's rich but NO SUN ain't good!!!

Off to *think* about getting out and doing more work in the yard--lots to do out front to perk up the 'curb appeal'!

Hey_J/janice

• Pat z6 MI
    10 years ago

Hey, Janice! Just found out about this post. 'splains why i haven't heard from you and why you haven't posted any pics of your yard. Jeesh! Willl ever "sit still?"
    Remember Hallson's and that wonderful biker/walleye place!
    Much, much good luck and kindest thoughts,
    Pat

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

So, how did the move go? Are you settled? Have been thinking about you and hope everything is coming along beautifully.

Cynthia

• Janice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Pattie Ann and Cynthia!! Good thing I get the notices when someone posts!

One of our son inlaws has moved the majority of my hosta barrels (still planted--can you believe that!!) and many, many of the others in pots and bags to our new place--in a HUGE truck from where he works with an electric lift--thankfully! I already love the effect at the new place though I've done little more than plant 7 trees (in addition to the many 'maples' surrounding the place' and now I've purchased 7 Althea Lucy Rose of Sharon bushes and 3 Nikko Blue Hydrangea bushes (big ones). The bushes are yet to be planted, though!!

We're still waiting to find a concrete guy to help us get started on transforming the 2 car garage into our bedroom and then build another garage on the end of the original! The prices we are getting are HORRENDOUS!! Praying for someone to be discovered who will do it for a more reasonable amount!

We've built my 'grocery store' in the basement for food storage and several large shelving units to hold the many crates of things I'm bringing over!

Meanwhile, there are still lots of hosta to be dug and divided to leave some here and take the larger portions with us! Hubby keeps telling me to take it all--and if I did there is still so much going on that the yard is very woodsy and you can hardly tell anything is taken.

I will post pix someday, I'm sure! I just wish I had taken some 'before' pix of the new place sans the hosta barrels and pots!!!

We come home late everyday and we collapse very soon after we get home. I get on the computer long enough to check the mail and do a little researching and maybe a short 'game' to relax and then off to bed!

Thanks for asking Cynthia and thinking of me!

Pataan--definitely remember that evening we were together at that place and Steve and I speak of it often! Talk about a potentially much worse situation after backing into that guys' bike----!!! Whew!!! I was anticipating a HUGE BIKER DUDE coming out and slamming Steve up against the van! LOL Not funny--really if it had turned out that way but I can laugh now that it didn't!!! hahahaha

Oh, and Phil and his wife, Diane, stopped over in Dayton Tuesday evening (coming from N.C. to Michigan.) and we met them for dinner! we really enjoyed being with them again. They left the following day to be at Ken's by noon! I do hope they made it in time to spend enough time rummaging through his gazillion hosta and still get to Diane's sister's in time for dinner!!

Hope to see pix when Phil gets back!!

janice

• ademink
    10 years ago

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey J!!!

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

Janice - it is sooooooooo good to hear from you. I wish you the best on your new homefront. I find it exciting just to have 5 more feet of shade to garden in due to a growing tree.

I am sure we all look forward to your posts in the hopefully near future.

Theresa

• Janice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Heeeeeeeeyyyyyyyy Mink!!! I've thought of you so often and wondered how you're doing and what's up with you, etc.!! Thank you for stopping in to say heeeeeeey!! :o) Are you still in Indie?

Hey Theresa! I am very excited to have areas of sunshine aplenty to add surrounding color to my shady areas! That's a first in a very long while!! All the trees we've added will give us a red contrast to all the yellow of the Silver Maples surrounding us! Can't wait to see how it all comes together!!

Thank you Theresa for you very warm replies! I do hope Les is doing better since your last post! Did he have to get the stint?

Pouring down rain here right now--I mean REALLY pouring! Can't remember this much dumping in a long time! Should be filling our SIL's 1/4 acre pond to the top and the fishies should be jumping!

Are you getting this rain, too, Mink?

janice

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

He should but hasn't yet. 20% of a med. expense is hard to do when gas is 40% of your income. :o( I don't want to get political here, but things don't seem to be favoring us older peeps medical problems. He is doing ok though. Thanks for asking hon.

Theresa

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

Can't wait to see your new home and garden! Are you living in the new place now? I'm sort of stuck in the end of May - June phase of getting the garden planted and ready. Lots still to do. It's starting to come together and I hope to be able to do some pictures soon. Don't work too hard! Myrle

• Janice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, Theresa, that is terrible--40% of income for gas??? Hate to say it, but it's gonna get worse between gas pricing and medical 'changes' it's going to be a nightmare, no doubt! Oops--no political stuff just sayin'....!

Myrle--glad to see you're still at it---I knew you must be working hard in your hosta paradise!;We can't wait for your pix!!

Oh, and we're not living in our new place, yet, but about 75% of the day! :o) It's a lot of driving back and forth but we need to get the garage converted to a bedroom before we can officially move in!! Thankfully we have great neighbors who feel responsible for everyone around them so I feel very good about not being there at night! Two of them are seriously 'packin' with one of them being a night-owl always looking out for the neighbors. It would really creep me out (the packin' part) if I didn't feel I knew them both to be very protective at their core! So far, they've admitted to not really needing to be so vigilant through anything recent but they know the times and people, *they are a changin'* fast!

janice

• ademink
    10 years ago

POURED here.

Odd, I'm not getting email notifications for anything, despite checking the box and making sure my profile allows for email. weird.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm