Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Emerging_in_MN, part II

paul_in_mn
11 years ago

Still waiting for so many to emerge, especially the garden north of the house. We're about 2-3 wks ahead, so no complaints - just garden fever. Gardens are still a bit too soft to be stepping into them much. Spring showers of about an inch last night and more this week. Here's a few to signal that the Northlands are starting to green up.

Blue Mouse Ears - too early to be blue, didn't get much in blooms last year.

Frosted Mouse Ears - slow to multiply for me, but seems happy where it is.

Great Arrival - third year - margins got wider and leaves rounder

Harpoon - critters set it back, but seems to have rebounded - yingeri hybrid so has those pretty spider type flowers

Key Lime Pie - growing with a vengeance - went from 6 to 17 eyes. If you want some good growing hosta look at Squash Casserole and its sports.

Pistache - a Spilt Milk sport - went from 1 to 5 eyes, may have to move in a year or so as it's supposed to be a medium sized hosta. Though it is no where near that size yet - wonder if size is guess based upon Spilt Milk.

Spartacus - 2nd year - UKhostaman's puts mine to shame

Summer Breeze - was looking sad 2 years ago, so moved it to some sun and better watering - seemed to work.

War Paint - just unfurled - got to catch the colors before they green up. Last year in a pot and colors went quick.

Solomon's Seal (variegated)- a growing favorite around hostas for me - pick some up at every garden club sale I find. Gives some height and spires are so different from mounding structure of a lot of shade plants.

Thanks for looking.

Paul

Comments (11)

• Gesila
    11 years ago

Very nice Paul. I think I have to get Key Lime Pie!

Are those little seedings around your Frosted Mouse Ears?

Gesila

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Gesila. IMO, Key Lime Pie is definitely worth the space - the HL pics don't do it justice.

The seedlings are probably from Blue Cadet or Elegans - I don't think Frosted Mouse Ears has bloomed for me yet.

Paul

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

Nice photos. Thanks for sharing.

bkay

• User
    11 years ago

Gesila, your eye and mine settled on the Key Lime Pie!
    Okay, #2 on the list for 2013. Paul, when you said, "Squash Casserole" and its offspring growing quickly, that's what I like to hear. My Squash Casserole is looking great, will pay more attention to its offspring.

Also, I have a yingerii species plant, and hope it gives me some spider flowers this year. For the flowers, I'd like to get a Harpoon. Let it move next door to its parent. Please remember to post the flowers when Harpoon blooms?

Great Part II, Paul. More to follow, I presume.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks both of you - I can do better than later when it blooms. A couple of pics for comparison.

Key Lime Pie - 2011 with 6 eyes

Harpoon Flower from 2010

Yesterday's Memories (reverse of Key Lime Pie) - planted 2009 / pic 2011 - Squash Casserole sport

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: myhostas - Sports

• Cher
    11 years ago

Great looking photos. Love Pistache and Key Lime Pie. Your Solomon's Seal looks really pretty.
    Cher

• sally_grower
    11 years ago

Hi Paul, nice pictures. Is that Liberty next to Key Lime Pie.

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

Nice pictures. My hosta have a more spring damage, frost bite, rabbit nibbling and some munching by worms of some sort. Yours are really beautiful.

I really like Key Lime - and Yesterdays Memories. I wonder why Key Lime is not listed as rippled edged on Halson's catalog. Yours looks rippled to me.

Thanks for sharing,
    Beverly

• Beachygirl
    11 years ago

Beautiful pictures and I like your combinations, esp that one with Key Lime.

• caliloo
    11 years ago

Lovely!
    I really like Yesterday's Memories... how quickly did it get that big? I am having trouble with root competition and several of my really large ones need to move.... not sure how much room I will have left for another big guy.

Alexa

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all for the comments-

Sally, yes, that is Liberty. Key Lime Pie stays lower so a good fit I think with Liberty's height.

Beverly, slugs are still quiet here but soon. Deer have been feasting at the hosta bar in one corner of the yard - won't be sharing pics of those anytime soon - ate S&S as it was emerging to the ground....tasty I'll bet, arghhh.

Alexa, Yesterday's Memories was planted in 09 with 3eyes and this year looks to be 10 strong eyes. Both YM and Key Lime Pie get some sun and regular watering.

Paul