Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

is gardening.. just an excuse for adults ...

to play in the dirt???

ken

Comments (20)

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Yes,it is!!!

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Truthfully, I never enjoyed playing in the dirt when I was a kid!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Yup!

-Babka

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Uh.....NO. I'll have to be the decenter on this. Love plants, hate dirt (especially all the things that crawl around in it). I could totally see myself as a hydroponics person, if I could do whatever I wanted. I'd skip the dirt part of the job in a heartbeat, but it is the simplest, most convenient route and, well, it IS readily available! Means to an end, is all dirt is!

• lucillle
    9 years ago

Ken you are funny.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Yes it is. And an excuse to feel good about getting dirty.

tj

P.S. In your case, Ken, isn't it an excuse to play in the sandbox?

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

It is my workout :) and I love the dirt, but just not under my fingernails.

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

It is for me, with the added bonus of ending up with eye-pleasing garden beds as a result. I love designing them, growing as many plants from seed as will fill each bed, then getting my hands in the dirt planting them to achieve the design in my head.

My line in the sand is maintenance (i.e., pulling weeds, edging/ditching).

Winter sowing is my excuse for playing in dirt December through March.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

No it is my way to exercise. Running behind a lawnmower for an hour, thereafter bending down individually for each weed, carrying around bags full of weeds, rocks, tools, then redoing 2 of the 3 compost bins develops a sweat while breathing in good fresh air,except for the lawnmower. Somehow I lost 5 lbs since gardening started.
    Gardening is also a mental exercise, includes creative thinking and enjoyment.
    Bernd

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Shortest post by ken?? and no ellipses ... lol ;-)

Paul

ps - Where are you hiding your camera ken? I remember days of old with lots of pics of ken's hostas.....we miss them.

• tepelus
    9 years ago

Shortest post by ken?? and no ellipses ... lol ;-)

Paul

They're in the post title. Sneaky, that Ken is.

Karen

• w3csx
    9 years ago

Not dirt "SOIL!"

Anyone who has ever had an agronomy class will laugh with me about this.

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

I have never needed an excuse to play in the dirt. Not when I was 2, and not 50 years later either.

Beverly

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I play with "media" in my pots. ;-)

-Babka

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

And FINALLY, what goes around, comes around. Dirt, indeed. Ken, you shoulda known better :-)

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

I love dirt - mud not so much.

DD

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

... and for the MG folks out there, I must concur w/ W3 ... it is soil.

Dirt is whatever we can dig up ... on ken!

_~

dave

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

It is a way to get outside and play again. We get to dig, make rock formations, play with water from the hose. I get to turn the compost barrel, play with tools, sit on the ground and look at bugs, lol. The other day I was tired from weeding and just sprawled out on my front lawn to rest. How else could we do all these things without the excuse of gardening?

So I guess kids play in dirt, but adults play in soil.

• esther_b
    9 years ago

It is both an exercise in living art and a chance to converse with the neighbors while outside. Also affords some exercise, especially when I unload 30 lb. bags of soil, mulch or 40 lb. bags of rocks (otherwise known as anti-squirrel devices), or bend/stand up/bend while planting stuff or rolling up my hose.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not dirt "SOIL!"

==>>> w3c almost got there ...

soil is mother earth..

media is for pots ...

and dirt is what is all over you and the floor when you go in the house, after playing in the soil ..... lol ..

ken

ps: my kids rarely if even missed school when they were younger .. and now they are a bit more prone to the usually colds and stuff ... i told my 16 y.o. daughter a week or so ago.. thats because i raised you in the dirt , and on some level.. that exposure to all kinds of things made you immune [besides all teh exercise, fresh air and sunlight] ... and now.. you just sit indoors on your technology and are more sickly ... no exercise.. no sunlight.. no fresh air ... [of course.. after this winter.. what can i say ...]

This post was edited by ken_adrian on Sun, May 25, 14 at 10:21