Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melati_gw

Komodo Dragon?

Lee
9 years ago

This was bought long time ago online... Do you think it is KD?
Can I see your spring emerging KD to compare?
Thks.

Comments (15)

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

Looks like it to me or at least it looks like mine.
    This is mine in it's 2nd year, picture taken 3 days ago.

• Gesila
    9 years ago

It looks like KD to me, but it should be growing at a much faster rate.

Here's a couple of pictures of mine. The first one is in it's second season and that last is in it's fifth.

BTW, Komodo Dragon makes tons of volunteer seedlings if you leave the scapes on it until spring.

Gesila

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

last i saw mine.. it was 4 feet tall and 6 wide ..

good luck with that potted thing ...

ken

• Lee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm thinking my KD leaves are not as thick and not enough ruffles...
    Anyway... hope its KD lol...

• User
    9 years ago

Four feet tall and six feet wide?
    Oh gee.
    Well, thanks, Ken. I'm thinking my brand new just potted little dragon will become a BONSAI in its pot.

Gesila, you are really tickling my fancy with thinking of seedlings on Komodo Dragon. I'd love to see that happen. I might have to put it in the ground, in a brand new raised bed I'm working on.Things which make seedlings are a welcome sight for me. I wonder if I could put it beside Empress Wu and get a Godzilla seedling? :)

• Lee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Btw... Thanks and very nice KD both old_dirt and Gesila.

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

This is a great hosta!

This post was edited by lavendargrrl on Fri, May 16, 14 at 22:55

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Moccasin, you can see all the seedlings in the lower left hand corner of the last picture. That's only a tiny fraction of them. They're so much bigger this year. And, most are displaying signs of ruffled edges!

I cut all the scapes off the ones in the front for our Christmas display so I only got one seedling this year. The back gardens are covered with seedlings as I haven't cut the scapes off in a couple of years. Leaving the scapes on them helps me find them in the spring!

Gesila

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i dont post many pix.. feel honored .. lol ..

the pic will show tomorrow or the next day.. as i refuse to pay PB for increased bandwidth ...

i may have exaggerated .. a LITTLE... or it got bigger after 2007 ... its probably dead now ... but pix are eternal ...

ken

• User
    9 years ago

Gesila that is inspirational. So much to look forward to.

Ken, photobucket says a picture is not forever if you are not premium. One reason I opted out. I use Flickr, not that it is any better, just different.

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Oddly enough, Ken, I see your photo in my email now, but not in this thread on my iPad. Thanks for posting a pic of your KD - as I'm sure you know, it's pretty amazing!

• Lee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken's pic.

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

I have a new bed that's the dragon bed. Komodo Dragon is the body. On Stage is a dragon wing, One Man's Treasure is its head, Salute is its mouth, Ripple Effect is its tongue. In a sunken pot In front of the bed is Allegan Fog - the smoke from the dragons mouth. The tail is in a whiskey barrel at the other end of the bed with Restless Sea and (of course) Dragon Tails.
    I don't know if I should show a picture or let you imagine it along with me while I wait for the hostas to mature. But I can say that these pictures of mature KD encourage me.
    Kathy

• User
    9 years ago

ZKathy, I see you have visions of magic going on in your garden. Great imagination, ZK. For me, the picture would not be as true to your description as your typed words. We can wait for it, as long as you don't forget...but if you change it, that's okay, all dreams are subject to revision.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I don't care how much space I don't have, I gotta get this hosta. My neighbor talked me out of it last year, saying it was too similar in looks to Queen of the Seas to have both. So I put it off.

Now that I see many examples of each of these great plants, in my opinion, my neighbor was...WRONG-O!!

Not too similar, at least what I've seen, and I've seen enough of both (I have QOTS) that I'm getting a Komodo Dragon. And that's that. ; P

Great pics...Is Ken's a record size??? Jeeez...

Don B.