Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
War Paint in full glory

Posted by hostamanphil 5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 15:35

This is the first year that War Paint has unfurled before turning green. It was up and growing real early this year. Phil

War Paint May 1st

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: War Paint in full glory

Wow is that ever beautiful.

o

What an amazing color- I am very impressed!!

G

o

This is probably one of my favorites. I just got one last year, but we saw some pretty amazing ones on tour a few years back.
I can't wait for mine to grow up!

o

I like it, I did a double take on the FIRST YEAR part, I thought WHAT? :O

then I realized it was about the unfurling , not the age of the plant ;)

o

Great plant, and great grouping too. Love the (not even going to try and spell it) grass.
Jan

o

That would be Hachenochloa. I think it's the variety 'All Gold.'

Steve

o

The plants are stunning.

But I'm intrigued by your mulch. Is this your own recipe?
Christine

o

Nice WP Phil....WP has always been one of my spring favorites! Nice photo :)

o

Thanks for the nice comments.

Christine-the mulch is a complex mixture of free wood chips,leaves that did not get raked and a lot of pine needles from the White Pine tree. Phil

o

Outstanding hosta, Phil! A real masterpiece!

o

Beautiful! This one stays at the top of my want list!

o

• Posted by msjo Z5 MadisonWI (My Page) on
    Sat, May 5, 12 at 6:16

So very beautiful. I have ordered it from Lakeside and can't wait to get it.

Jo

o

Phil - photos like yours will cause a run on this hosta! That is simply stunning... thanks so much for posting it

Alexa

o

How long does that variegation pattern last before it turns green? I love the way this one looks, but if it's 15 minutes, I'll use my garden space elsewhere.

Steve

o

Steve-the variegation is very short term.It will be mostly green by 1st of June.Actually,I would be surprised if it lasts 2 more weeks.Phil

o

Added this pic as desktop background.
Hosta 'War Paint'

Paul

o

Awesome pic!

o

That is gorgeous! I just got mine this year, and it has already turned all green. :( I am hoping it lasts longer next year!

Karen

o

For a hosta that does a similar color change but in reverse, going from plain green to coloring up, check out Double D Cup from Stuart Asch.

Read the database description from the HL page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Double D Cup on HL

o

Full glory is right. Stunning grouping and hosta.

Be aware that that Hakone 'All Gold' gets a lot bigger. Mine exceeds 24" in diameter after three years. My favorite grass.

o

War paint is one of my favorite hosta but then again I have about 99 others and the list is growing. This War Paint is also one of my new plants . I found the perfect companion for her

o

Reminds me of a tantalizing Hosta cultivar we saw and drooled over 2 summers ago at Wade & Gatton's Botanical Gardens.

It was so frustrating that the ID on this plant was ABSOLUTELY NOT what other sources said it was.

I hope to live long enough to re-visit there, with prior arrangement with the owner, to try to find the 'dirt-tag' or some other 'provenance' to determine what it really is.

Probably won't happen. Who knows how many 'old timey' really cool hostas have gone 'poof' in this fashion. My first thought about this is the old 'Geisha' vs. ummm, was it Animachi, no that doesn't feel right, becha one of the many other experts will be able to set this right.

I'm also into old radios and airplanes, and can assure y'all that this problem in not uncommon in history, darn.

So perhaps some of the many super-experts here, both active and lurkers,

said HOT Hosta we saw there at Wade & Gatton was labeled H. 'Sombrero'.

A few peeks at HL, several Zilis books, and a few H. Georg Schmid books didn't fix my problem.

This Hosta is at the 'promontory' point at the south end of a ridge that overlooks the unofficial lower parking lot on the banks of the river that runs through the edge of Wade & Gatton Botanical Gardens.

Please, if you beat me to finding this plant and getting it properly ID'd, share with me, and I'll understand if you delay the info until you already git it . . .

hh

o

I would so love that if it stayed like that! I am not always crazy about ones that turn solid- with the exception of Guardian Angel. But it is definitely beautiful now! Maybe it will grow on me :)

o

Suprised to see my 2nd year War Paint has not gone solid green as of this July 17th pic - getting full morning sun. After receiving bare root last year it went all green very quickly after potting up.

Paul

o

I don't keep a 'wanted' list, but this posting makes me think I may want to!

hh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here