Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dray67

Found a sport! Pretty!

dray67
11 years ago

I was at a garden center near Baltimore today and found a gold standard with a really pretty sport. It is in a 3 gallon pot with lots of eyes and a tight root ball. The eye with the leaves is pretty thick and has about 8 leaves the smaller leaves just have the yellow and white with out the dark green.

So I will need a lesson on the best way to fish it out of the others. Feel like I need and OR and a plastic surgeon to do it right.

Here is the potted plant

and if you follow this leaf down you see the eye

Comments (10)

• Cindy
    11 years ago

Oh, I like it! That would be nice if it works out.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

check patriots fire and moonlight at the library ...

and i dont care what alex summers 'remembered' on PF.. this is a GS sport ... grew them next to each other for 12 years.. no difference ...

ken

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Very nice. The thing with sports is;you leave it for more than a year. Gold Standards sport all the time. Chances are it won't be back next year. I once had a streaked Gold Standard,that lasted for two years,then it reverted back to just another normal Gold Standard. I have a present one that has three colors,and I separated it this year,after observing it for 3 years. There's still no reason it will stay,but I keep hoping. Just a few thoughts before you get too excited,but it is interesting. Phil

• hostared
    11 years ago

Like Ken said. I also had one similar to yours. Came back for a few years then went right back to Gold Standard.
    I've only had one good clump of streaking Gold Standards. I got 8 good size clumps from it. It has stayed streaking for 5 years and I'm sure it will stay. But sometimes I find solid green eyes...so go figure. Leave it till next year then try to remove it. Good Luck...it's pretty.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

what van wade would do.. is NOT separate it.. but cut off all the GS buds and leaves ... so that the only live bud is the sport ... just keep yanking them out.. no real cutting needed ...

and continue to do that.. until that bud takes over the crown ...

and i have never cut anything out of the middle of a hosta.. and got it to survive ...

and if you do nothing.. it will revert to GS

ken

• dray67
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh Ken that sounds like the best plan but it will hard to start ripping at such a full mature plant. So leave it in the pot or plant in the garden?
    It is pretty and I like the idea of having something original. It was $18.00 what the heck.
    Dave

• Cher
    11 years ago

If it's that large, why not divide it in half? Keep half as what it is and do what Ken suggests with the other half. Just divide no where near the sport.
    Cher

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

You got an interesting conversation going.... It applies to me too.
    I have a big H.'Antioch' which now for the second year has one eye with a very wide yellow/white border. the green center is less than one third... I think I will cut through the neighboring eyes to get at this eye, and once out will wash it and then cut off all leftovers of neighboring eyes. You could do it the same way. Good luck! Hostas are a lot of fun!
    Bernd

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Like Ken said check Moonlight or Fire Opal.

Paul

• thisismelissa
    11 years ago

I echo Ken and Paul.
    Instantly, I sad, "Fire Opal"

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio