Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Found a sport! Pretty!

Posted by dray67 7 (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 12 at 15:35

I was at a garden center near Baltimore today and found a gold standard with a really pretty sport. It is in a 3 gallon pot with lots of eyes and a tight root ball. The eye with the leaves is pretty thick and has about 8 leaves the smaller leaves just have the yellow and white with out the dark green.
So I will need a lesson on the best way to fish it out of the others. Feel like I need and OR and a plastic surgeon to do it right.
Photobucket
Here is the potted plant
Photobucket
and if you follow this leaf down you see the eye
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Found a sport! Pretty!

Oh, I like it! That would be nice if it works out.

o

check patriots fire and moonlight at the library ...

and i dont care what alex summers 'remembered' on PF.. this is a GS sport ... grew them next to each other for 12 years.. no difference ...

ken

o

Very nice. The thing with sports is;you leave it for more than a year. Gold Standards sport all the time. Chances are it won't be back next year. I once had a streaked Gold Standard,that lasted for two years,then it reverted back to just another normal Gold Standard. I have a present one that has three colors,and I separated it this year,after observing it for 3 years. There's still no reason it will stay,but I keep hoping. Just a few thoughts before you get too excited,but it is interesting. Phil

o

Like Ken said. I also had one similar to yours. Came back for a few years then went right back to Gold Standard.
I've only had one good clump of streaking Gold Standards. I got 8 good size clumps from it. It has stayed streaking for 5 years and I'm sure it will stay. But sometimes I find solid green eyes...so go figure. Leave it till next year then try to remove it. Good Luck...it's pretty.

o

what van wade would do.. is NOT separate it.. but cut off all the GS buds and leaves ... so that the only live bud is the sport ... just keep yanking them out.. no real cutting needed ...

and continue to do that.. until that bud takes over the crown ...

and i have never cut anything out of the middle of a hosta.. and got it to survive ...

and if you do nothing.. it will revert to GS

ken

o

Oh Ken that sounds like the best plan but it will hard to start ripping at such a full mature plant. So leave it in the pot or plant in the garden?
It is pretty and I like the idea of having something original. It was $18.00 what the heck.
Dave

o

If it's that large, why not divide it in half? Keep half as what it is and do what Ken suggests with the other half. Just divide no where near the sport.
Cher

o

You got an interesting conversation going.... It applies to me too.
I have a big H.'Antioch' which now for the second year has one eye with a very wide yellow/white border. the green center is less than one third... I think I will cut through the neighboring eyes to get at this eye, and once out will wash it and then cut off all leftovers of neighboring eyes. You could do it the same way. Good luck! Hostas are a lot of fun!
Bernd

o

Like Ken said check Moonlight or Fire Opal.

Paul

o

I echo Ken and Paul.
Instantly, I sad, "Fire Opal"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here