Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sumangel_gw

Totally Awe Sum

sumangel
10 years ago

Has anyone tried to grow Totally Awe Sum? It is such a mutant in the pictures I've seen.

Comments (15)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Mutant is right! It's the ugliest Hosta I've ever seen.

Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

HA! If you think TAS is ugly, there is a hosta in HostaLibrary named UGLY.....and it seems to be the worst yet.

Poor thing.

Now I'll have to look up Totally Awe Sum.... :)
    You guys sure keep me busy looking at hosta pictures!

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Ditto.

bk

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

It looks worse than some of the cabbage that's been in my fridge for a few weeks.

Jon

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

LOL I just looked up 'Ugly' and personally, I think 'Totally Awe Sum' makes it look like 'Paul's Glory'!

Don B.

• ctopher_mi
    10 years ago

Mine are just now starting to unfurl for the spring and most have sported to a solid color, losing all of the variegation. I knew they were going to be unstable, but sheesh, this is ridiculous... The ones showing variegation have a cream center and a green edge, and aren't showing a third green pattern in the middle. Oh well, I tried...

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

Was Totally AWESOME created anywhere near Chernobyl ?

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Ha ha ha 'Chernobyl' indeed! :)

Don B.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

A better name for that thing would be FreakaZoid! Not on my list anytime soon.

Sandy

• sumangel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Any tips on how to get Empress Wu to GROW? I've moved her and given her more sun but 5 years and no real impressions made. My "Angels, S&S and Montanas out do the Empress

• sumangel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Any tips on how to get Empress Wu to GROW? I've moved her and given her more light but 5 years and no real impression made. My "Angels", S&S and Montana outdo the Empress.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Sumangel, I would start a new thread on Empress Wu. You may not get the right interest without Empress Wu in the title. Just look at the top of the lead page for the hosta forum and under the blue band is a list. Click on "post a new message".

Sorry, I have no experience with the Empress.

bk

• rosie742001
    10 years ago

My H. Totally Awesome is just poking it's head up. This is it's second year. I also have H. Something Different and H. Outhouse Delight' I like the ones that look different.( Besides haven't you ever heard of the 'Ugly Duckling'?) One would certainly have no trouble recognizing one of these and they need to be loved too. That for those people who say hostas all look alike. I am anxious to see what they will look like when they grow up

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Sumangel, We have our h. 'Empress Wu' growing behind a wood fence in shade in the vegetable garden where it gets a lot of water from overhead irrigation. It grows great, is over 30 inches tall and 5 ft wide. Since it has large leaves and is so big, it needs a lot of water and some 10-10-10 fertilizer. When I had it in sun the first year it burned. Bernd

• Janice45
    9 years ago

Both of the Totally Awe Sum I purchased last year came up this year as plain old lime green leaf plants. No twists, stitches, color variations - nothing to even suggest what they looked like when I planted them. Has anyone else experienced this?