Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mosswitch

Deer Me!

mosswitch
10 years ago

We went for a walk on the trails behind our woods today and must have been a little noisy and startled a fawn, it ran out right beside us and kept on going. Mama must be around somewhere....guess I better be sure to get a new application of Vicks Vaporub on all the hostas at the bottom of the woods and make sure all the cages are over them! I also smear the Vicks on the gates and fences. So far I haven't found evidence of them being in the woods garden or any hostas eaten but I sure don't want to take any chances!

Comments (7)

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

It only takes one morning in the garden and a couple of deer can do a lot of damage. First I heard of using Vicks Vaporub. Can you put it right on the plant? Or do you apply to the ground, or a stick nearby.

Beverly.

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I read about Vicks from a grower of hostas and daylilies, and she swore it works. She puts it on the buds and leaves and the deer leave them alone.

I put it on the hosta leaves (it doesn't hurt them) and also on the woods gates, smear some on the logs and rocks around the beds, tree bark, anywere I think the deer might smell it. I haven't had any deer damage (yet) this year, and usually they are lined up at my hosta salad bar. I've tried every repellent on the market and the home made ones too, and this seems to be what really works. The rain doesn't wash it off, either, but I reapply it every week or so. It does show on the blue hostas so I put it on the backs of the leaves.

Just put a lttle between your thumb and fingers and stroke the ends of the leaves a little. You don't need much.

Too simple! Seems to also work on the rabbits.

Sandy

• serenitycove
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely try that. How often do you have to reapply?

• rosie742001
    10 years ago

I knew I saw the trick about Vicks somewhere! Thank you Sandy! The other thing I read was about Irish Spring soap! I have a fairly large area for my shade garden.I had to neglect it for awhile and now I am trying to replace and renew things, and I have three young deer that come through my yard in the evening and I see signs of dining on my Hosta. I tried some sacks of something that you hang on trees or hooks, but I can't tell if they are working! We have had a very wet May, even for us here in Oregon and I haven't been able to get outside alot. ( I have to use a walker) But the weather gurus say we are heading into warmer weather so we will see! Meanwhile I will keep checking the Forum for help!

• marquest
    10 years ago

Yes I saw this tip and have tried it and it works. Because I have so many plants rubbing leaves was too much. While watching TV in the evening I cut up some green fabric strips and tied them to wire and rubbed the vicks on the strips.

The next day I went out and put them around and through the hostas. I have herds that eat my entire garden down in one night. So far it seems to work. I saw one deer walk up to the hosta and walk away that made me a believer this was a good tip.

• rosie742001
    10 years ago

Marquest, I will try that if I can. I am on an old rock quarry and it is pretty rough. Plus I swear the rocks multiply at night. But I am determined to try and keep my shade garden up. Thank you for the input. Meanwhile I am still trying to fin d out about the Irish Spring Soap.

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Smear the Vicks on the rocks! Doesn't matter as long as it is close to the hostas out there somewhere where the deer can smell it! Or on the tree bark, just at or above hosta height.

Serenitycove I reapply it every couple of weeks.

Sandy